• Photographing Media Hill and Sharon Lines

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Otto Vondrak

I am going to be in Philly all day Sunday and was considering going over to the Routes 101 and 102- anyone reccomend any good photo stops?

-otto-

by Franklin Gowen

Duty calls -- this area was once my metaphoric as well as literal playground, so here's some tips for you.

"Trunk" line, 69th St Terminal to Drexel Hill Junction:

The understated, mid-1930s facade of the Upper Darby Post Office makes for a decent backdrop at the Fairfield Ave stop - first stop outbound from the Terminal, and but a 10-minute walk from same.

Between the Beverly Hills and Congress Avenue stops, the line crosses above what was once the PRR's Newtown Square Branch, which formerly cut across Garrett Road and thru Naylor's Run Park. The original "roller coaster" bridge has been replaced with one lacking the former's great height, but either stop's vantage point will yield a good 135-150mm telephoto shot of a trolley at the crest of the bridge.

Drexel Park and Irvington Road have original stone stations. This was once considered a rather haute couture area, as the local housing will confirm.

Shadeland Ave stop (Drexel Hill Jct.) is where the Media and Sharon Hill Lines part ways. There's little natural beauty here, so use your creativity. Aside from obvious rivet-counter appeal, I think it's not worth much time.

Media Line:

The area between Paper Mill Road and Pine Ridge is very scenic. It runs through Smedley Park, crossing the creek on a high stone-piered bridge. You can follow a short nature trail which will easily bring you to the point where the single track curves under the I-476 viaduct. In the distance you can see the signal at the transition back to double track. Cars usually meet at this point on weekdays; not sure about weekends. Of all the options both lines provide for a great photo, this area is my favorite. It's also very close to the Route 1/Baltimore Pike exit on I-476, which in turn is convenient to I-95 south of Center City Philadelphia.

The single-tracked street running in downtown Media is very cool. The facade of the old Media Theater (near Monroe St) makes for a nice background. I love the South Shore Line, but I prefer Media's street-running to Michigan City's. A sentimental whim of mine. You can slake your thirst at the Iron Hill Brewpub, or have lunch at the Orleans Restaurant, etc. The blocks of eclectic store-fronts present a comfortably old-timey feel.

About 6 blocks south of the center of town is the Media station on the R3 Media-Elwyn railroad line. It allows a multi-modal circle trip.

Sharon Hill Line:

Between Oakview and Baltimore Pike, the line runs down and then up out of a creek valley. A hike-in shot of the Red Arrow-era steel bridge may be worth your time.

"The" shot on the line is definitely the Springfield Road street-running where the R3 Media-Elwyn railroad crosses above both street and trolley. It's at the R3's Clifton-Aldan station (where I began my railfanning avocation around 1970!). Check both schedules to see if a meet is possible.

This line's (double-tracked!) street running thru Aldan includes an original stone station at the corner of Fairview and Providence Road. Trolleys stop here. The station was restored by the local historical society.

If you are very very lucky, you might see a CSX freight on the short ex-B&O bridge above the trolley between Collingdale and the end-of-track at Sharon Hill. The distance between those two stops is about 0.3 mile. BTW, the end-of-track is pretty equidistant to both the Folcroft and Sharon Hill stations on the R2 Marcus Hook/Amtrak NEC. Only about 0.8 mile to each - I've walked it in as little as 20 minutes. Makes for another circle trip if you want one.

Good luck and good hunting!

by Otto Vondrak

Excellent, thanks very much. Hope to make it over there in the afternoon.

=otto=