• Penn Station Emergency Repairs: Trackwork, etc.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by east point

If it becomes unable to operate NYPS <> Albany by the west side route there are 3 possible solutions.
1. backing whatever trains might be considered to New Rochelle and then running train(s) MNRR to SD and regular route to Albany.
2. LSL could operate to Springfield and combine LSL there to go to / from CHI. Not likely but -------- ??
3. Just operate out of GCT but that might require Amtrak to install passenger handling equipment and personnel. the very long LSL lay overs in NYC is a problem. + equipment rotation depending on Cardinal is also a problem as well as equipment just going to BOS.
  by Backshophoss

48/49 could operate via the MO wye to New Rochelle on the New Haven line,then get towed in reverse into/out of NY Penn by an ACS-64,
unless MN has some reason not to allow an occupied passenger train on the MO wye track.
  by Railjunkie

The LSL will operate CHI BOS during the scheduled track work this summer. Passengers coming east that wish to continue on to NYP will have to transfer to local service in ALB. This may include the purchase of another ticket as I do not believe there will be any type of guaranteed connection.
  by Backshophoss

Southhamton St is not set up for LD train servicing,geared for NEC consists. Figure on CSX doing some trackwork on the B&A to boot.
That Shop can barely handle the 448/449 stub consist. Bedding linens will need to be sent to Boston from the Sunnyside Laundry on
#66 on a nightly basis.
  by Railjunkie

Dont know how Southhampton will handle the train all I know is this will be the routing. The B&A is up for sale dont expect CSX to do much if anything. Havent heard of any upcoming projects. I even willing to bet it may be a 7 to 8 car train.
  by GirlOnTheTrain

Backshophoss wrote:48/49 could operate via the MO wye to New Rochelle on the New Haven line,then get towed in reverse into/out of NY Penn by an ACS-64,
unless MN has some reason not to allow an occupied passenger train on the MO wye track.
They do it with Yankee Clipper trains all the time, so I don't think the fact that it's an occupied passenger train on the wye would be an issue.
  by Dick H

CSX issued a statement that the B&A is not up for sale. However,
like the politicos in DC and elsewhere, that could change overnight.
  by Greg Moore

Wow, this discussion changed focus quickly. I think we're way overthinking the whole issue, especially the LSL issue. It's pretty clear from what was posted, for a few months, NYP passengers will simply have to get to/from ALB on a separate train and board there. Cross-platform transfer. Not a big deal.
  by Jeff Smith

My thoughts:

I'm not doubting any sources here, and I know they're well placed, so much of this is murmuring out loud...

You've got three LD trains daily (four named; the EA is numbered as Empire). While I could see 48/49 being annulled south of Albany or combined with Boston, I would think they're going to want the Ethan Allen, the Adirondack, and the Maple Leaf to run to Penn, even though they don't have checked baggage.

And then, how do you handle checked baggage on the Lake Shore? Add a baggage to the EA/291/295 or ES 235, which only runs M-F?

So for the three (four with EA) it seems like around the horn via MO and New Rochelle is the way to go (with the same setup as they've done it before with a Sprinter or Genesis).

Then you're back to the previous emergency plan: three trains daily from GCT/combining or annulling the non-daily ES.

One last thought, and it's a doozy, impossible, and not at all efficient without a Billion Trillion dollars: Cut over the Beacon Secondary/Maybrook to Danbury! Sorry, couldn't help myself.
  by Railjunkie

Nope Nope and Nope. Unless something changes the LSL will be CHI to BOS all other trains to operate out of GCT. Kinda effects what Im going to do this summer. The preliminary job couplet is out and the option to get qualified in/out GCT are up for bid. Hmm to qualify or not to qualify.
  by JamesRR

Several Empire trains were rerouted last year to GCT - so what is the big deal?

Can we keep the topic on immediate repairs in Penn Station? I think discussing reroutings is fine, but I keep posting info about the actual repairs and the discussion goes into arguing about reroutes outside the vicinity of Penn.
  by Jeff Smith

Railjunkie wrote:Nope Nope and Nope. Unless something changes the LSL will be CHI to BOS all other trains to operate out of GCT. Kinda effects what Im going to do this summer. The preliminary job couplet is out and the option to get qualified in/out GCT are up for bid. Hmm to qualify or not to qualify.
Like I said I was just thinking out loud about the issues not questioning the idea. James your point is taken.
  by BandA

Backshophoss wrote:Southhamton St is not set up for LD train servicing,geared for NEC consists. Figure on CSX doing some trackwork on the B&A to boot.
That Shop can barely handle the 448/449 stub consist. Bedding linens will need to be sent to Boston from the Sunnyside Laundry on
#66 on a nightly basis.
Plenty of room in Beacon Park! No facilities or hookups remaining however. Probably not even water. Would have to make sure the remaining tracks are still connected! Probably have to post a guard as the place would otherwise be empty. I'm sure they can get a laundry company or hotel servicing company with union employees if unionism is important. You are talking off-peak about 10-15 min drive between Southampton St & Beacon Park.
  by STrRedWolf

Wikimapia on the location.

Call that a Plan B. It looks like you'll need to do some construction work to separate the travel tracks form the yard tracks, add high-board platforms for the service crews, and basically build the facility. The area supposedly is owned by MassDOT/MBTA so a deal would be needed for Amtrak to use the land. Possible, but not cheap!
  by Backshophoss

CSX had to strip the yard bare,Demo any remaining buildings etc,etc,so figure on any connection to water,sewage,and power are gone.
1 yard track was rebuilt to the second main thru there,thats about all the major changes there for now.

What still does not make sense is this reroute of the NY section to Boston.
Granted any detour to New Rochelle for tow in to NY Penn takes time but is within reason.
As is the Tow out to New Rochelle from NY Penn.