• Penn Line Question

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Mr. Harlem Line

Will a diesel locomotive show up on the Penn Line more often than an electric locomotive? Are there any plans to retire the AEM7s?

by Hudson Terminus

MARC diesels will more often run on the off-peak trains with shorter consists, but I have observed them on the 8-pack rush trains as well. As far as the AEM-7's...they're becoming more rare. I'm sure MARC is moving away from using them outside emergency usage.

by gprimr1

Amtrak charges MARC more to run electric engines than it costs to run diseil engines.

by Carmine

gprimr1 wrote:Amtrak charges MARC more to run electric engines than it costs to run diseil engines.
Do you think this hinders MARC ability to run trains more frequently, and to run trains on Weekends, for the aformentioned econmic reasons?

by octr202

Carmine wrote:
gprimr1 wrote:Amtrak charges MARC more to run electric engines than it costs to run diseil engines.
Do you think this hinders MARC ability to run trains more frequently, and to run trains on Weekends, for the aformentioned econmic reasons?
I wouldn't think Amtrak charges are the stumbling block. MARC runs pretty regularly (hourly or better all day) on the Penn Line on weekdays, when the incremental cost of having more trains operating is pretty low, versus starting up operations on a Saturday or Sunday when everything is shut down.

Projected ridership (or lack thereof) would be a more likely reason. Less highway congestion and free weekend parking at Metro (DC) and Baltimore Light Rail stations isn't going to drive up demand for weekend service, either.

by CHIP72

octr202 wrote:
Carmine wrote:
I wouldn't think Amtrak charges are the stumbling block. MARC runs pretty regularly (hourly or better all day) on the Penn Line on weekdays, when the incremental cost of having more trains operating is pretty low, versus starting up operations on a Saturday or Sunday when everything is shut down.

Projected ridership (or lack thereof) would be a more likely reason. Less highway congestion and free weekend parking at Metro (DC) and Baltimore Light Rail stations isn't going to drive up demand for weekend service, either.
I can't say I know that much about all the MARC Penn Line stations between Baltimore Penn Station and Washington Union Station, but I believe most of those stations are geared towards park-and-ride operations and aren't located in or near towns, which also mitigates against weekend Penn Line service. Octr202 identified the biggest reasons for the lack of weekend service (lack of I-95/BW Parkway congestion and free parking at DC Metro stations).
  by amtrakhogger

Marc Aem7's are limited to one active unit (4903). The other 3 are out of service. Two are up at Wilmington Shops for repair.(?) The other electrics
(HHP8's) typically are used during rush hour.

I believe mostly that Marc rotates Camden Line trains with off-peak
Penn Line service. These trains have typically shorter consists.

Another reason why you see more Penn line trains with diesels is that
during the day in Washington many trains are drilled to remove/add
cars for maintenance. The same goes for the electric engines, which
are run up to the pit at Ivy City for daily inspections/servicing

by octr202

CHIP72 wrote:
octr202 wrote:
Carmine wrote:

I can't say I know that much about all the MARC Penn Line stations between Baltimore Penn Station and Washington Union Station, but I believe most of those stations are geared towards park-and-ride operations and aren't located in or near towns, which also mitigates against weekend Penn Line service. Octr202 identified the biggest reasons for the lack of weekend service (lack of I-95/BW Parkway congestion and free parking at DC Metro stations).
Yes, a lot of the stations are park & ride oriented, but then again, so are most commuter rail operations...

Another hinderance might be that Penn Station is relatively far from downtown Baltimore. Up here, Rhode Island has coughed up the funding for the MBTA to expand Boston-Providence service, which now runs 15 r/t weekdays, 9 Saturday, and 7 Sunday. Ridership seems pretty good, and people are using it to travel in to both cities (moreso to Boston, naturally), but there's also a good chunk of ridership that comes from the city-city crowd. I'd have to think that Baltimore to DC would support the same kind of market, but its a big hurdle to get the money together. RI had it easier since they are just paying the MBTA to extend service that was terminating north of the state line.
  by realtype

Starting in August 2006 MARC began an overhaul program of its 4 AEM-7s.
The overhaul is expected to be completed 18 months after start. All electrical and most mechanical systems will be replaced, and the cabs totally rehabilitated. In addition the locomotives will receive a new paint job.

Information Source- Oct 06 'On Your MARC!' Newsletter:
http://mtamaryland.com/services/marc/se ... terCS2.pdf

by Hudson Terminus

Another interesting part of that newsletter is the announcement of the MARC tracker. Very neat stuff!

by cpontani

Imagine if some of the larger agencies would be able to do that? Very nice indeed!