• Penn Central / LIRR interchanging at Fresh Pond

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Richard Glueck

Mike, I can't say other than on the Bay Ridge line. Dad died from a chronic love affair with the folks at Liggett and Myers tobacco, back in the late 1980's. I do know that he was terribly affected by the event and wasn't keen on drawn out descriptions. He had been on the scene of the Rockville Center and Richmond Hill wrecks too. Those gave him nightmares that lasted well into his career.

by lirrmike

Rich,

Sorry to hear about your dad, I would've loved to 'pick' this mind. I used to walk that track from about Brooklyn College to the Brooklyn Terminal Markets. A lot of walking for a little kid! But the trains, both the NH and the LIRR locals.

Mike

by Richard Glueck

If we have a place to display them, I will zip some pictures Dad took of a major wreck on the line, back about 1966, or there abouts. It involved two of the big NH EF-33 electrics, derailed and run into a bridge abuttment. I also have original slides of the "Great People Poop Wreck", where the sewerage plant in Bay Ridge, down by the floats, exploded into a shower of concrete and you-know-what! It knocked freight cars clean off their trucks! Most amazing thing I can recall from his career of dedicated service. He was amongst the last of his breed; company men who were dedicated to what they were employed to do. He took no guff from anyone, and he knew the service of his company depended on him. How many railroaders are like that today?

That electrocution we talked about? As I thought more about it, I'd say it was probably near New Lots crossing. Does that jive with your recollection?

by lirrmike

Rich,

I can't remember where, I'll try though. I can't help with the photos either, not doing good today, huh? Maybe Joe Emfinite can help with that.

Mike