• Passenger Info Please

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by NJWG

Hello to all, Not being a railfan at the time I used to frequently take the train from Suburban Station in Philly to Harrisburg. I was travelling back and forth to college from 1977 to 1981. I never paid much attention at the time but at a recent visit to the Museum at Strasburg I noticed Two stainless Mu cars parked in the back that looked familiar. During that time period what type of equipment was I riding on and was this a Amtrak or Septa service? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. MARK
  by MACTRAXX

M: Those were late 60s vintage Amtrak Metroliner MUs that you remember and are the cars at RMofPA...
Amtrak also used leased NJDOT "Jersey Arrow" MU cars during those dates (former PC #s 534-603) for PHS/PHL-HAR service...

MACTRAXX
  by glennk419

NJWG wrote:Hello to all, Not being a railfan at the time I used to frequently take the train from Suburban Station in Philly to Harrisburg. I was travelling back and forth to college from 1977 to 1981. I never paid much attention at the time but at a recent visit to the Museum at Strasburg I noticed Two stainless Mu cars parked in the back that looked familiar. During that time period what type of equipment was I riding on and was this a Amtrak or Septa service? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. MARK
The two stainless MU's that you saw are most likely the Budd Pioneer I's that RRMPA has in their collection. They probably made many trips to Harrisburg during their careers and were basically the prototype for the Silverliner II's which had very similar carbodies although the SLII's had several refinements in their propulsion and electrical systems. Of the four cars that survived and were retired by Septa, IIRC, two went to RRMPA and two went to the NTSB testing center in Colorado to be used in crash worthiness testing. The Metroliner MU's also shared some of the same technology but had a radically different carbody and trucks.
  by chuchubob

glennk419 wrote:The two stainless MU's that you saw are most likely the Budd Pioneer I's that RRMPA has in their collection...
Typo correction: Pioneer III; Silverliner I
  by glennk419

chuchubob wrote:
glennk419 wrote:The two stainless MU's that you saw are most likely the Budd Pioneer I's that RRMPA has in their collection...
Typo correction: Pioneer III; Silverliner I
Thanks for the correction, Bob. That's what happens why you reply on only a half cup of coffee. Glad YOU know what I meant. :)
  by NJWG

Thanks for all of your replies. I probably took this train about half a dozen times a year when I could'nt get a ride. I dont ever remember riding on the metroliners I'm sure they were extra fare. Those jersey arrows or pioneer cars are more like it. I would sometimes take the trailways bus to philly from south jersey and walk to suburban station to get a train. More than once I got to harrisburg too late on a sunday night and missed the bus north. I would end up walking across the river and hitchhiking up rt. 11/15 north. Thanks again I will keep digging for more info on this service. MARK