• Part of old RR station demolished

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by railtrailbiker

DOVER -- A portion of the old Central Railroad Freight Station on Clinton Street was demolished Tuesday.

"Because the condition of the building at that end was so bad, I just decided to reduce the size," said Al Porfido, the owner of Freeway Tire & Auto.

Porfido said that, because of the poor state of that section of the building, town officials asked him to install a new roof, repaint it and reshingle it.

His family has owned the historic building since 1967.
http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /604040357

by Irish Chieftain

If they owned that building for 39 years, how come they haven't maintained it...? You'd think it'd be a larger tax liability to have the building fall apart rather than keep it in good shape and have used it for some purpose.

by NJTRailfan

I wish town officials would've worked with him to preserve that building along with the Dover Historical Society. As is Dover doesn't need to be tearing down historical buildigns especially since they lost a couple of historic homes/mansions to the Dover Genral Hospital Parking lot expansion during the late 90s.

by E-44

Somehow, reading the various posts here, I don't think Dover has a large concentration of brainpower in their municipal government.

by NJTRailfan

don't even get me started with them. Here I am in Iraq and I hear that renovations/constructions are clsoe to completion with the nearby Rockaway Mall, Newark Subway and construction will be underway soon on the Netcong Transit hub and the Mt arlington Train Station and yet Dover for soem unkown reason has draggged their feet constantly on the Transit Hub Construction and the Master Plan to help bring back the Bassett Highway Area of Dover back from the dead while everyone else around them even the Shop rite of rockaway and the Plaza they are in are clsoe to completion with construction yet dover had the Master Plan and Transit hub longer then any of these places I named had plans in the first place yet not one thing has happened sicne the Artist rendering of the Transit Hub was scrapped for another one. This is not good that once again Dover is basically allowed the Rockaway Mall to win yet again while Dover is still in the declien since stores like JC Penny left for the Mall. Dover has better wake up and smell the coffee.

Westfield and finally Morristown a few years back and look where they are now.
  by pateljones

Hey, NJTrailfan, downtown Dover is a really vibrant and bustling area...lots of great Latin restaurants and shops along Blackwell Street. The new Hispanic mayor has said he wants transit improved in Dover including the train station. Lets see what he can do.

by NJTRailfan

Pateljones, You mean Mayor Dodd. He is not hispanic. The last mayor Javier Marin is but he's no longer the Mayor and he wasn't even voted to town council when he reran as that. So far the Mayors that really impressed me were Javier Marin and Steven Shukailo. They actually did something to help the town out of the depression that the Rockaway Mall and do nothing politicians did since the late 70s. Dover actually looks nicer and alot less crime then before.

The redid JFK Park and the re opening of the Historic Baker Theater helped along with new traffic lights and lamposts throughout downtown but what can help us alot more is the Transit Hub and Master Plan redevelopment of Basset HWY. so far not one final plan or construction project going on yet WE DOVER of Morris County NJ had this long before Netcong, Morristown and the rest yet not once have I seen a construction site in that area. I hope that when I get back from Iraq I'll see it on going but until I go on the Daily Record Website and see otherwise then oh well.

If they do not act soon once again they'll be left behind and humiliated by the Mall. The same place that started their downfall during the late 70s.