• Parking garage for Lawrence?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Rockingham Racer

While visiting my sister over Christmas, she mentioned there was going to be a parking garage built at the Lawrence station. True or false. If anything, it's Andover that could use more parking.

by CSX Conductor

Actually most commuter rail stations are starting to need more spaces :wink:

by ST214

I had heard Lawrence was getting a new station. Now it's just going to be a parking garage??
  by Porter Sq

Lawtown is getting a new RTC witch includes station and garage and I think the MVRTA is going to have a bus hub there too not sure though.Anything beats the rundown station they have now.As the same with alot of the milltowns along the merrimack alot of new housing is being developed in the old mills and people are moving in. The crowd seems to be the young professional type who usually work in Boston so alot more people my find it easier to park and ride than drive to Boston.

by ST214

While were on the subject of new stations, when the MBTA moved to Union in Worcester, the RTA buses and the LD buses were supposed to move into the station as well. It's finally happening. They have started construction on the bus facility, which will be under the P&W tracks. As for the parking garage that was supposed to be built where the old(Amstation) is, i think it's dead. THe B&B crew has taken over the station.
  by Porter Sq

Lowell station has changed so much over the last 20 years we have two new parking garage additions,we have intercity bus service and the LRTA is bullding a new bus hub out front where there was once a surface lot.This will make it much easier for me when they get it running to get to the train station in the morning.[/b]
  by Porter Sq

Lowell station has changed so much over the last 20 years we have two new parking garage additions,we have intercity bus service and the LRTA is bullding a new bus hub out front where there was once a surface lot.This will make it much easier for me when they get it running to get to the train station in the morning.

by Ron Newman

"P&W" is obviously Providence & Worcester, but what is "B&B" ?

regarding Lowell station:

The narrow pedestrian bridge across the tracks, to get from the parking lot and garage to the station, is completely inadequate. It, and especially the stairway to the tracks, logjams anytime there is significant pedestrian traffic in both directions. It would be better to just have a pedestrian grade crossing of the tracks.

This situation will only get worse if service is extended to New Hampshire.
  by Porter Sq

Ron I agree with your statement of crossing the tracks but there are a few problems with that
A-The train is usually on the left side of the platform if looking towards Boston making it hard to cross the tracks
B-Guildford owns the other three tracks and there trains are usually blocking the way too.
Some options to fix the log jamming new stairway to the new garage from the platform and or bulid a new stairway to the park and ride area this would't have to be ada compliant because there is allready an elevator on the old one. The only time the logjaming usually happens is at afternoon rush and people use both sides of the stairs to go up.

by mersk862

I sure hope there is a parking garage at Lawrence station. Whenever I want to go into Boston on a midday that I am home (does happen), I often find myself driving down to Woburn/Anderson to catch a train, since I know I won't be able to get any spots on the upper Haverhill line, while I know I can always get a spot at Anderson. If Lawrence gets a garage, it'll save me a good 15 minutes driving (Lawrence station is 10 minutes from my place, Woburn about 25).

Jeff

by ST214

mersk862, Lawrence,MA is 10 minutes from Winston-Salem,NC?????

Ron, B&B=track crews, MOW

by CSX Conductor

Ron Newman wrote:"P&W" is obviously Providence & Worcester, but what is "B&B" ?
"Bridge & Builders" department.

by Ron Newman

Does the current Lawrence parking lot fill up?

I'd be a bit nervous about leaving my car in a city where people routinely stage auto accidents to collect insurance...

by Rockingham Racer

There used to be a guard on duty at Lawrence on weekdays. Don't know it that's still the case or not. You could also pick up a timetable from him.