• PAR Signal System Changes

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

I have two questions in this thread. The first one regards the Patriot Corridor. In the latest Q2 Pan Am Clipper it mentioned that the Patriot Corridor would switch signals over to using the rails. What is this system called, how does it work and who else uses this system?

Second question is in regards to the latest Trains Magazine (January 2009 edition). On page 10 there is an article that says that the Legislature passed a resolution which said that by 2015 all train lines where Freight and Passenger interact would have to switched to Positive Train Control. I'm assuming this would include the Portland - Boston Downeaster stretch with Guilford?

Thank you in advanced for any answers that anyone can provide to my questions!
  by cpf354

Of course PTC will have to installed on the DE route, unless either the DE or the freights go away, which is highly unlikely. It would also have to be installed on the MBTA Northside Routes too. Wonder who gets to pay for it? That should get interesting if Pan Am does.
  by CN9634

Well after reading about PTC a bit it looks like every unit is going to have to outfitted for use with the system. Sounds like it will be expense for the railroad.
  by MEC407

Would this apply to ALL lines where passenger trains and freight trains use the same line, or would it be based on a certain threshold of (for instance) train speeds or traffic density?
  by NV290

MEC407 wrote:Would this apply to ALL lines where passenger trains and freight trains use the same line, or would it be based on a certain threshold of (for instance) train speeds or traffic density?
Those details will more then liley be hashed out later on.

As for who pays for the system, in the case of the Haverhill, Lowell and Fitchburg routes were PAR operates but does not own the tracks, the MBTA would foot the bill for the infrastructure. And east of Plaistow, where the MBTA ownership ends and PAR begins, you can be certain that as with all the track and signal upgrades done to allow the Downeaster, NEPRA will pay for the system there. But as for equipping each loco with the system, that will fall upon the locomotives owner. Who knows what will happen int he next 7 years, but i am sure federal grants will be in place to help out and the system cost will come down dramatically if it becomes a requirement on railroads.