• PAR District 3 tie replacement

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by jonnhrr

A few days ago I observed tie replacement going on in Gardner, the main line through the yard.

I also read somewhere they are moving to Athol after this work is done.

Does anyone know what the plans are after that? Are they planning on tie replacement throughout District 3 or just some of the worst spots? Will this eliminate all the 10 mph slow orders? I assume this is related to the Pan Am Southern deal?

Jon
  by jonnhrr

I'm surprised none of those in the know have chimed in here as to what is up with the track maintenance.

I'm sure if they were doing this on the Watertown branch it would be big news :-)

Jon
  by atholrail

Some info....

They haven't started in Athol yet.

There's a bunch of ballast cars sitting on the dead 2 track in Gardner. Loaded or empty I couldn't tell. Last Friday FI-1 brought empty ballast cars to ED that were dumped I believe between CPF 335 and CPF 345.

I belive interlocking's, Tyter's, Wright's, Parker's, and 345 have all gotten new ties already. Maybe more? 335, 370?

School St. Bridge in Athol got new timbers last Thursday/Friday.

New Timber's for the Tunnel St. bridge in Athol are sitting in the old Athol yard.

Billy
  by NV290

atholrail wrote:Heard the tie job was being abolished next week due to no more ties, and a lack of manpower.
Sounds right. They just laid off a bunch of track guys and i too heard they were out of ties. The #2 track between CPF-WL and CPF-312 is out of service from Wagon Wheel to CPF-312 due to wide gauge an not enough ties to finish the work. And it has been OOS for weeks now.
  by atholrail

The 1 trk. between CPF 354 and CPF 363 was OOS last week. Don't know what for or why. A tie train did show up last week with 5 carloads of new ties for the one track between Wright's and Tyter's. Still not enough ties to finish the job. Billy
  by NV290

atholrail wrote:The 1 trk. between CPF 354 and CPF 363 was OOS last week. Don't know what for or why. A tie train did show up last week with 5 carloads of new ties for the one track between Wright's and Tyter's. Still not enough ties to finish the job. Billy
They took the #2 track out of service the first week to do the tie job between CPF-354 and CPF-363. Taking the track out of service is much easier as you can leave the equipment right on the main and there is no delays with constantly having to tamp and line each section you do every day to get it ready for traffic. The second week the #1 track was out of service while they did the same thing.

I just heard they raised some speeds last night to 25 through that area.
  by jonnhrr

Thanks billy for th eupdates. I guess trains will be screaming through at 25 mph pretty soon. :wink: Will make it harder to chase though.

Jon
  by atholrail

Seem's there's going to be some construction going on at CPF 345 soon.

Alot of spray painted lines crossing the rails were it "looks like", they'll be digging something? "Dig safe" all over the place.

Alot of switch pieces, assembeled track sections, assorted rails and switch ties are sitting next to the Gardner yard by the Rte 2 bridge.

Anyone know what's gonna happen w/ these?

Billy
  by jonnhrr

atholrail wrote:Seem's there's going to be some construction going on at CPF 345 soon.

Alot of spray painted lines crossing the rails were it "looks like", they'll be digging something? "Dig safe" all over the place.

Alot of switch pieces, assembeled track sections, assorted rails and switch ties are sitting next to the Gardner yard by the Rte 2 bridge.

Billy
According to a post on the Yahoo Guilford forum, they are moving CPF245 east for some reason. Not sure why they are doing this unless it is to lengthen the siding between there and Parkers maybe ???

Jon
  by NV290

jonnhrr wrote:
atholrail wrote:Seem's there's going to be some construction going on at CPF 345 soon.

Billy
According to a post on the Yahoo Guilford forum, they are moving CPF245 east for some reason. Not sure why they are doing this unless it is to lengthen the siding between there and Parkers maybe ???

Jon
The crossovers at CPF-345 are being upgraded to a 35mph version (If and when they see that speed remains to be seen). Brand new, Pandrol clips and all. The entire set of crossovers will be moved about 100' or so east to get them clear of the narrow rock cut they currently sit in. The reason being is it allows much easier tie replacement and allows for easier snow removal as the way it's set up now, plowed snow up against the rock cut is constantly casuing issues. Being as there is only the one set of crossovers, there is no need to have them down in that cut.

As far as i know, the work is being done this week. At least started. I know the materials are all there. The new turnouts are sitting next to the Heywood branch and the frogs, guardrails and other hardware is sitting in the plowed dirt lot in the yard.
  by newpylong

Interesting. They must be wanting to get the #2 up past 10 MPH at some point, kinda strange being only a little over a mile of double iron though. But I guess it would he helpful if someone is occupying the #1 to be able to get around them without slowing down much.