• PanAm Railway... A chance discovery.

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NaugMOW

That's what I originally thought but I searched around and I couldn't find anything under the Pan Am Systems name. I searched on hoovers.com and didn't find any companies by that name. Maybe it's just so recent that it wouldn't show up yet??

On another note, did you see the sighting of 407 up in Canada a few days ago?? Looks like she lives on for now. I remember a few years back when GRS told you they would sell it for something like $63,000

by MEC407

chadb9 wrote:On another note, did you see the sighting of 407 up in Canada a few days ago?? Looks like she lives on for now. I remember a few years back when GRS told you they would sell it for something like $63,000
Yeah, I did hear about that. GRS wanted $60K for the 407 and $60K for the 404. However, I'm not entirely convinced that the 407 is being used as a switcher at CAD, considering that when it was spotted by another railfan a few months ago, it was reported to have a lot of parts missing. But I suppose anything is possible.

by trainiac

On another note, did you see the sighting of 407 up in Canada a few days ago?? Looks like she lives on for now. I remember a few years back when GRS told you they would sell it for something like $63,000

Yeah, I did hear about that. GRS wanted $60K for the 407 and $60K for the 404. However, I'm not entirely convinced that the 407 is being used as a switcher at CAD, considering that when it was spotted by another railfan a few months ago, it was reported to have a lot of parts missing. But I suppose anything is possible.
I was going to mention this, but Chad beat me to it! I saw the 407 last weekend while passing the GE facility in Montreal, and it caught my attention.

by MEC407

As long as it hasn't been cut up yet, I guess that's a good sign! I wonder what happened to the 404, though.

Too bad some GE-friendly shortline wasn't able to get them.

by Ron Newman

vector_one75 wrote:Not being very astute in corporate manipulations, I thought that once a company goes bankrupt (past the reorganization phase, when it just simply folds up), the name as well as the goodwill as well as the assets essentially goes up in smoke and cannot be retrieved since there are no "surviving" creditors
When a corporation goes bankrupt and into liquidation, its assets are sold to pay creditors at least a few cents on the dollar. A trademark is an asset and can be sold just like an airplane or a building. Undoubtedly this is how Guilford acquired the Pan Am name.