• Pan Am Southern / Patriot Corridor Discussion

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

We used to get it from the NECR at WRJ when I was there I think Brattleboro now.
  by ST377

Also bear in mind that CSOR, NECR and P&W are all wholly owned, while B&E is an operator for NS and CSX. And to Newpy's point, on day one you can't have a B&E crew jump on a train in Deerfield and take it to Worcester via the Gardner Branch, for example. Not without a pilot anyway.

I've heard racks are staying on the B&E. Whether that's actually the case remains to be seen.
  by newpylong

B&E met with Keolis this past week. Goal is still 9/1 but even that is not a given.
  by johnpbarlow

As of Friday 6/2/23, looks like the NS rehab of the Albany Main track with new 136 lb CWR is largely done. several grade crossings have been rebuilt/paved as part of the rail replacement. Track work looks good - I'm sure SMS crew appreciates it! And given there's an empty turnout panel MoW car at Delanson on the SMS interchange siding, it looks like a new turnout was installed somewhere but not at CP-499 Delanson or the CSX connection at Voorheesville. There is no indication of any work going on yet at CSX end of the Albany Main - eg there are no survey stakes marking out a new path to the Selkirk branch.
  by johnpbarlow

NS posted a job opening on June 27,2023 for a Mechanicville-based position of Road Territory Manager (see attached job description). I don't believe that Mechanicville is a current crew base for the NS operation of the north end of the D&H (I think Binghamton-based crews handle trains operating on the D&H portion of the Patriot Corridor) so I'm wondering why this new position is centered at Mechanicville. Interestingly, one of the job duties listed is "Plans the operation of local trains to provide required service to customers and fulfill service requirements." As far as I know, NS isn't currently operating any local trains around the Capital region. Perhaps this new role has something to do with working with the to be hired/deployed Voorheesville - Ayer crews running IM trains over the B&A? Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by newpylong

It's possible NS intends to take over operations at XO instead of utilizing PAS as that terminal will cease to see Ayer bound IM traffic anymore. I'll ask around.
  by johnpbarlow

Good point. NS may be originating/terminating Mechanicville IM traffic as a turn local to meet the Ayer IM train at Delanson?
  by newpylong

No I mean right now the ST (as the Carrier for PAS) switches Mechanicville. Is the NS intends to start using their own crews they would want a management presence at the terminal.

Not sure how they will handle the XO or Ayer traffic south of there.

From what I hear there is a good chance in the B&E takeover actually happening for 9/1, the fall at the latest.
  by newpylong

Do you mean PAS takeover? Prior to PAS, PAR and it's descendants have owned it since the beginning...
  by johnpbarlow

Due to heavy rain and flooding in Hudson River valley stretching across the Berkshires into Vermont, I’ve read that GMR/VTR has a major washout at Ludlow VT , PAS has a washout at Eagle Bridge, and there’s water (flooding?) in the Hoosac Tunnel. Also CSX River Line and Metro North have many washouts. Anyone know if PAS isbadly impacted?
  by newpylong

I have heard there are a few washouts out west. I am sure the railroad is at a standstill until they can be repaired. Likely see some reroutes up the Conn River anything not stranded.
  by NHV 669

The one in Ludlow is ugly:
received_298547289300008.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.