• Pan Am Derailments

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by b&m 1566

I heard there was a derailment in Nashua, NH a day or two ago. I did a quick search on the internet but came up with nothing; however I have heard a few people talking about it. Can anyone confirm that there was a derailment in Nashua in the last day or two? If so what exactly happened?
On another note it does seem to me that there has been quite a few in the last few months; a little more than usual from what I gather.

by greenus90

It wouldn't surprise me, the track conditions are pretty poor in general in the Nashua area, especially the Hilssbob branch, it's like a rollercoaster near Franklin street.

But no I've not heard anything about a derailment lately. Maybe it happened on the yard and not out on the road???

by GP40MC 1116

I heard that Pan Am put a locomotive on the ground, probably NA-1 or NA-2 i would think. ANd i havn't heard any disruptions on the Bow Coal Train so i don't think it was one of those units. Someone told me that their was work being done and the Hillsboro Branch was being all fixed up, is that true or?

by b&m 1566

GP40MC 1116 wrote:I heard that Pan Am put a locomotive on the ground, probably NA-1 or NA-2 i would think. ANd i havn't heard any disruptions on the Bow Coal Train so i don't think it was one of those units. Someone told me that their was work being done and the Hillsboro Branch was being all fixed up, is that true or?
Bernie the only work I know of being done on the Hillsboro branch was filling in a crossing with some stone so people don't total there cars as they cross the tracks.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y=wintrain this is a picture of the crossing!
  by wintrain

I was in the area of Crown St. to Bridge St.(north end of yard) and the first few miles of the Hillsboro Branch all week and didn't see anything related to a derailment. As poster of mentioned photo, I do not believe the railroad filled in that private crossing.

by GP40MC 1116

A few days ago I stopped in their, and it looked as if something had gone on the ground, their was a good few section of ties in a row that had a huge gash and "line" through it as a wheel had slid off and gouged it. Also the roadbed arround it looked as if their were alot of tire marsk from Hi-Rail and rail construction equip

by b&m 1566

With yet another derailment (this time in the East Deerfield yard) I'm starting to wonder if it's safe to watch a Pan Am train go by. The last time I watched a Pan Am train was in Lowell, MA and me and my girlfriend sat on a jersey barrier as a train pasted about 10 to 15 feet from us. Just after the engineer smiled and said hello on his way by, I got a sick feeling in my stomach and told my girlfriend to step back. Even though the train was moving at a snails pace I new if something was to go wrong 10ft was not far enough away. Does anybody else get the same feeling when watching a Pan Am train go by? I know when it’s a train other than Pan Am I never get the feeling.

by CN9634

All the time. I keep my distance, especially when the cars are a rockin and a rollin.