• P72 MTA "blue stripe" Paint Schemes

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MACTRAXX

Steve - Good subject from the LIST Semaphore back in 1991...

For the record the stripe applied below the windows on LIRR painted cars (types 2&3) was blue sheeting.
The "Red Stripe" Parlor Cars used red sheeting in the same manner...

I would have liked to have seen the LIRR painted car fleet in blue with a reflective white side stripe reversing
the colors used on the MTA scheme...The MTA "off white" was a hard color to keep clean over time.
MACTRAXX
  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:56 pm "...Steve - Good subject from the LIST Semaphore back in 1991... For the record the stripe applied below the windows on LIRR painted cars (types 2&3) was blue sheeting. The "Red Stripe" Parlor Cars used red sheeting in the same manner..." MACTRAXX
Blue sheeting as in a large decal for example, or plastic glued on, or?
  by MACTRAXX

Steve - Sheeting in the form of a large decal applied/glued on to the side of the car.
I believe that the width of the sheeting was the same as for the M1/M3 cars -
and were sometimes used on either equipment types. There were variations in the
shades of blue that were used that stood out looking back in photos...MACTRAXX
  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:39 am I believe that the width of the sheeting was the same as for the M1/M3 cars .
By this time (1991) blue striping was removed from the M-1/M-3 fleet, except some holdouts.
  by MACTRAXX

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:25 am
MACTRAXX wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:39 am I believe that the width of the sheeting was the same as for the M1/M3 cars .
By this time (1991) blue striping was removed from the M-1/M-3 fleet, except some holdouts.
R36 - There WAS a limited group of M1 cars that got blue side striping in 1990-1991 -
These cars were in the 9500-9600 number range. There were two distinct shades of blue that
were used - RMLI's pair 9547-9548 was an example of the medium blue...

Another observation about the M1/M3 cars that were "silver sided" by removing the painted stripe
is that silver decals were sometimes used when the blue paint was tough to remove or if there
was unsightly scuffing from the paint removal on the stainless steel stripe area...MACTRAXX