Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Terrapin Station

I saw 201 and 202, side by side on GCT tracks 28 and 29 this morning. If there weren't a MILLION MNR employees buzzing around to yell at me, maybe I would have taken a photo. Oh well.

P.S. Maybe such lineups happen all the time, but I wouldn't know, since my Hudson Line local came in on track 27 this morning, which is a first for me (I've only been riding for a month). Usually my morning train comes in on track 115 or sometimes on 40/41/42.

P.P.S.S. To clarify, I know it is normal for two P32AC-DM's to be on adjacent tracks - I'm referring to the fact that the loco's numbers were in order (201, 202).
  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

As a PA operator who works in the same Operations Control Center as the Rail Traffic Controllers(RTC), let me tell you they do whatever works for them. That probably wasnt planned, sometimes things like that happen. I have seen CAB CAR 6222 on track 35, and 6221 on 34. Those are both rare shoreliner units because they are the only CDOTs i have seen with CENTER DOORS. They are Project 38As i believe. DUTCH correct me. it depends on who was on District U which controls upper level. sometimes what i have seen is a RTC will get diverted to another desk, because the original RTC went on vacation or whatever, and the whole operating plan changes. example, workin at 125th on saturday, RTC on district P/M will say everything on 3, HUDSONS on track ONE. but come sunday, it can be, NEW HAVEN EXPRESSES AND HUDSONS ON 1, and harlems and NH locals on 3 track. 201 and 202 probably jus happen to happen that way, but i would have taken a pic n e way, cause most the MTA police and guards are more relaxed on sunday, altho we do have sone NOSY employees! i take pics all the time in the terminal especially on lunch hour from the PA!

by RiverMP21

Neatest thing I've seen at GCT were two Shoreliners across from each other on two tracks - Franklin Roosevelt on one side, and Eleanor on the other.

by Terrapin Station

RiverMP21 wrote:Neatest thing I've seen at GCT were two Shoreliners across from each other on two tracks - Franklin Roosevelt on one side, and Eleanor on the other.
Haha, that's great!

by sullivan1985

On the other side of the river, I rememeber once seeing NJT 4100, 4101 & 4102 all lined up across three track side-by-side.

by checkthedoorlight

It's too bad you never see MNR consists with consecutive #'s like you can on the NYC subway.

It's a shame that right now M6 #9000 is stuck between two pairs of M2's. I can't recall seeing M4 #8900 out there.

by DutchRailnut

Do they run better if numbers are consecutive ??? no so why bother.
Subway trains are permanently coupled in sets of 6 or so.

by Nester

DutchRailnut wrote:Do they run better if numbers are consecutive ??? no so why bother.
Subway trains are permanently coupled in sets of 6 or so.
There are no sets of six on the TA system.

R143 - sets of 4

R142 - semi-permanent sets of 5 (ABBBA)

R68s were delivered as individual cars but later drawbar'ed up into sets of 2 or 4 (I don't recall which) so they could pull out the controller and cab brake assemblies

R62s/62As are usually 5 car sets but there are single units.

R46s are 2 or 4 car sets

R44s are 4 car sets

R42s, 40s, 40Ms, 38s and 32s are all married pairs (2 car sets)

While many sets have consecutive numbering, it is not a guarantee and does not affect performance.

Nester

by DutchRailnut

Ok thanks for subway info so lets get back to MNCR

by 4 Express

Yesterday when I went to/from Whitle Plains, I arrived/departed on the same track - track 40, also both departing & arriving, there was another train heading the oppostie direction but both heading to/from Southeast, also I noticed that every Southeast train I saw seemed to be a M7A while the North White Plains trains were M3A's, I did not see any trains heading to/from Wassiac though.