• P32-8BWH retirement

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ApproachMedium

electricron wrote:
slchub wrote:Still working the yard in Miami with it. Tied the 516 down this morning after using her all morning. Going anywhere? With what to replace it with?
With the P40s and P42s becoming redundant with the new Siemens locomotives being bought for California and Midwest service.
P40/42 locomotives are not used for switching service.
  by slchub

HA! Replace them with P40/42's?

I love it when those who do not work with/on the equipment/Carrier chime in. About the only useful feature that the P40/42's have for switching is the slow backing exciter. Computerized braking is a real trick to work with when switching as well. They have no visibility for switching and nowhere for the conductor or A/C to ride to/from a shove in a SAFE manner. While the Carrier may impose the use of the P40/42's as a switcher when needed as happened earlier this month with the 516 being O/S for a broken windshield, they'll have a battle with the BLET and UTU as those road units have no business being used as switchers.
  by DutchRailnut

Main thing is a P40/P42 can not be used as switcher (except switching cars in its own train) by virtue of FRA rules.
Any locomotive used in switching service has to have compliant switching steps.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/231.30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by mtuandrew

slchub wrote:While the Carrier may impose the use of the P40/42's as a switcher when needed as happened earlier this month with the 516 being O/S for a broken windshield, they'll have a battle with the BLET and UTU as those road units have no business being used as switchers.
And with the FRA - isn't it against the rules to use a unit with no porches as a switcher, except for its own train? EDIT: Dutch just answered that. Besides, you're already working at a disadvantage with a widebody.

Amtrak doesn't have any gensets, conventional switchers, or new dual-purpose road-switchers on order, do they?
  by electricron

AMTK822401 wrote:
electricron wrote:
slchub wrote:Still working the yard in Miami with it. Tied the 516 down this morning after using her all morning. Going anywhere? With what to replace it with?
With the P40s and P42s becoming redundant with the new Siemens locomotives being bought for California and Midwest service.
They have only ordered 32 of those engines, Amtrak has HUNDREDS of Genesis engines to replace if they decide to go that route. Personally, I hope those engines perform poorly, they are ugly and they are using an unproven prime mover (some Cummins stationary generator)
There's only 18 P32-8BWH locomotives left in Amtrak's roster, I believe 32 is more than 18, so there should be more than enough new locomotives coming on line to replace these 18.
  by DutchRailnut

even if they had 100 road locomotives coming online they still will not replace road switchers. just sayin..
  by ApproachMedium

AMTK822401 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:
AMTK822401 wrote:
Was 822 given electronic fuel injection? I've ridden a revenue train behind it and I know it does not have an E-Bell nor does it have electropneumatic brakes
Anything that is running today on amtrak in the P40 or P42 class has EFI. Amtrak has nothing with EP brake only the Acela sets have it. If you are talking about the Knorr CCB electronic brake controller, then no it does not have that either as they did not upgrade to that when the units were rebuilt. Not all of the P42s even have Ebells yet.

The NJT P40 engines all have EFI, still have standard 30CDW air brake stands and retain their pneumatic bells. Neither of which have anything at all to do with engine control electronics upgrades.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Genesis#P40DC..." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It is specifically noted here that the rebuilt P40s have mechanical air brakes brakes, why would this be if the P32ACs/P42 also have them. I know it's Wikipedia, but they are often very good at removing false information when it arises.
What are you talking about? The wiki pedia page is correct, its exactly what I said. The P32dual mode and P42 have KNORR CCB electronic brake controllers. They are the only amtrak road diesels that have such.
  by ApproachMedium

AMTK822401 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:
AMTK822401 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:
AMTK822401 wrote:
Was 822 given electronic fuel injection? I've ridden a revenue train behind it and I know it does not have an E-Bell nor does it have electropneumatic brakes
Anything that is running today on amtrak in the P40 or P42 class has EFI. Amtrak has nothing with EP brake only the Acela sets have it. If you are talking about the Knorr CCB electronic brake controller, then no it does not have that either as they did not upgrade to that when the units were rebuilt. Not all of the P42s even have Ebells yet.

The NJT P40 engines all have EFI, still have standard 30CDW air brake stands and retain their pneumatic bells. Neither of which have anything at all to do with engine control electronics upgrades.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Genesis#P40DC..." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It is specifically noted here that the rebuilt P40s have mechanical air brakes brakes, why would this be if the P32ACs/P42 also have them. I know it's Wikipedia, but they are often very good at removing false information when it arises.
What are you talking about? The wiki pedia page is correct, its exactly what I said. The P32dual mode and P42 have KNORR CCB electronic brake controllers. They are the only amtrak road diesels that have such.
You said they weren't electropneumatic, look at the sidebar. Could you explain the difference between the said controller and EP brakes ?
Said controller is an electronic cab control portion that operates an electronic locomotive brake valve, which from there on out is a regular old pneumatic brake system for the entire train. Two examples are the KNORR CCB, CCBII and the Wabco EPIC brake system. EP brake is a trainlined function that takes a brake application made on either a fully pneumatic automatic brake valve or an electronic automatic brake valve as operated by the engineer and propagates it serially to every brake valve in the train instantly via electronics. No amtrak equipment operates such a system other than the Acela express trainset.

In railroad mechanical terms when we refer to Electro pneumatic brakes or EP brake, its referenced to the trainlined system and not to an electronic air brake controller that is used in a locomotive to interface the engineer to an air brake system.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Let's not put what has to be the most versatile locomotive Amtrak rosters out to pasture before they must.

Today, observed @ 18.34 #381(24), Carl Sandburg, with #506 leading a P-42 (coupled 'elephant', or rear to head) with five cars.

Why the additional power for five cars was needed, I know not. Hopefully, someone at CNOC in Wilmington does.
  by ThirdRail7

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Let's not put what has to be the most versatile locomotive Amtrak rosters out to pasture before they must.

Today, observed @ 18.34 #381(24), Carl Sandburg, with #506 leading a P-42 (coupled 'elephant', or rear to head) with five cars.

Why the additional power for five cars was needed, I know not. Hopefully, someone at CNOC in Wilmington does.
I have to agree with you. These engines are great protection. If Amtrak ordered new engines, I'd still like to see this fleet overhauled and scattered throughout the system for protection. I would gratefully accept 5 for the NEC operations.
  by 25Hz

I was under the impression that these "versatile" locomotives can not fit into the hudson tunnels?
  by jlr3266

The Hudson Tunnels are an awfully small section of the NEC and have their own dedicated rescue engine.
  by ThirdRail7

jlr3266 wrote:The Hudson Tunnels are an awfully small section of the NEC and have their own dedicated rescue engine.
Indeed. Years ago, rescue diesels were strategically scattered around the NEC. If they used one for a rescue, they would send an electric to Gate or Newark to an engine swap. This would make a nice candidate.
  by slchub

Well no replacement yet. However, Sanford did swap out the 516 we have been using in the Miami yard with the 511. They swap out motors between yards for preventative maintenance and inspections as required by the cfr's.
  by ApproachMedium

511 has been running out of philly for a while now.