• Outlook for Danville,WV "Coalfields"

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by bbrinager

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone could help me by checking the boards or that has any knowledge of what the outlook for a conductor in Danville,WV or what is refered to as the "coalfields" would be? Heres the deal I was a employee for NS in Williamson, WV as a crerw transporter not making much money at all. Then CSX happens to call me and offer me a utility worker position in Huntington,WV at the heavy repair shop which is about a 1 1/2 hrs away from my home. So I take it ofcourse for the money. After a year as a bid in locomotive mover which I loved I got promoted to a carman/painter. Again I accepted it for the money so after workin as a carman for a few monthes I get a call from a recuiter saying that they are going to be hiring conductors in danville which would ofcourse be great for me because I could move back home. Danville is about 20 mins away. he says come to the session listen to what he has to say and if I dont like it I can stay a carman so I go and listen and ofcourse he tells me everything I already know well after the interview he tells me he would love to have me and gives me 2 weeks to report back to him whether or not I am going to take the job well i turn it down because I was unsure of the job security and well right now I have pretty good seniority as a laborer because I am holding my rights and out of the 5 guys who got promoted to a carman/painter I am the oldest so i hold a good mon-fri 2nd shift job there and to take the conducter job I would have to relinguish my rights in the shop and basically be a new hire. so heres my prob it has been a lil over a month and I have regretted my decesion not going out on tranportation becasue well i could move back home and do what I love to do ride those locomotives well I just got word they are hiring 5 more conductors in Danville and I really dont wanna pass it up again so if anyone has any insight i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks alot
  by Jim Rockford

if you have a good gig now i would keep it, the transportation sisde rteally isn't all that
sitting around on the extraboard waiting for the phone to ring sucks, been doing that for 2 months now, mostly busy on the weekends, and i like the job , but i hate not having a steady job and knowing that i can go out to dinner of anything else i wannya do. even though we have a garentee, it still sucks that you can't have any sort of life.
  by COEN77

Jim Rockford wrote:if you have a good gig now i would keep it, the transportation sisde rteally isn't all that
sitting around on the extraboard waiting for the phone to ring sucks, been doing that for 2 months now, mostly busy on the weekends, and i like the job , but i hate not having a steady job and knowing that i can go out to dinner of anything else i wannya do. even though we have a garentee, it still sucks that you can't have any sort of life.
I heard last night a few people after working almost a year resigned not able to deal with the hours or the BS associated with the job. It's a frustrating life at times. Friends use to invite me to parties/cookout if I was in town and safe to go I went. After a while the invites stopped not because I wasn't invited they stated I always had an open invitation but in reality you're lucky if you get to attend 10% of the time. It's difficult for someone who doesn't work our job to understand it. It's a sacrifice not cut out for everyone. Are the rewards worth it? That's up to the individual.
  by Jim Rockford

COEN77 wrote:
I heard last night a few people after working almost a year resigned not able to deal with the hours or the BS associated with the job. It's a frustrating life at times. Friends use to invite me to parties/cookout if I was in town and safe to go I went. After a while the invites stopped not because I wasn't invited they stated I always had an open invitation but in reality you're lucky if you get to attend 10% of the time. It's difficult for someone who doesn't work our job to understand it. It's a sacrifice not cut out for everyone. Are the rewards worth it? That's up to the individual.

yea i got the word that one of my classmates was about ready to toss in the towel,already had 2 drop out just before marking up, said he was submiting resumes left and right other places, me i'm stickintg it out till they give me the boot, not like i had a life before this gig anyway.lol