• Ontario Central and Finger Lakes Merger

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by nessman

OK... so Al says the ONCT will become a FGLK operation. Can anyone elaborate - or is this speculation?

Hi

by thebigham

It says "might." That's speculation.

by thebigham

Luther Brefo wrote:As Alcoman said, all eight are to be put into service.
They are to head to Cohocton because there is no space in Lakeville, and there is no space in Falconer. What's more is the 73 is also in Cohocton still. Cohocton is about to be loaded with Alcos! Thirteen in all.
Corrected:

Don't forget the S1s. That's 15.
Last edited by thebigham on Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by scottychaos

nessman wrote:OK... so Al says the ONCT will become a FGLK operation. Can anyone elaborate - or is this speculation?
havent seen it 100% confirmed, but it makes sense..
ONCT's only connection to the outside world is the FGLK at Shortsville,
and the ONCT's one and only Alco just left the property..

This was talked about in a previous thread..but I cant seem to find it right now..

Scot

by BR&P

Confirmed

by Luther Brefo

thebigham wrote:
They are to head to Cohocton because there is no space in Lakeville, and there is no space in Falconer. What's more is the 73 is also in Cohocton still. Cohocton is about to be loaded with Alcos! Thirteen in all.
Don't forget the S2s. That's 15.
They are S1s.

2 S1s 4, 5

2 C424Ms 422, 423

9 C636/M636 (8 NYSW and 1 SIXX(73))

What else is there? That's 13.

by scottychaos

Luther Brefo wrote:
thebigham wrote:
Don't forget the S2s. That's 15.
They are S1s.

2 S1s 4, 5

2 C424Ms 422, 423

9 C636/M636 (8 NYSW and 1 SIXX(73))

What else is there? That's 13.
13 plus:
The units will be moved to Cohocton on the Bath & Hammondsport RR along with two ex SP&S CEN 425s, one ex M&E and one from Florida, and two ex CP CEN 424s leased from the M&E.
If this all happens as stated, thats 17!

Scot

by Awol

Fingerlakes had its first run on the ONCT this past Tuesday

by SecaucusJunction

Fantastic! Now these units can break down on someone else's railroad and not heading into Butler.

by bwparker1

Awol wrote:Fingerlakes had its first run on the ONCT this past Tuesday
Awol, so has the need to base an engine in Victor disappeared as a result of this transaction? Also, will the GSRX unit become part of the FGLK fleet?

Brooks

by Luther Brefo

bwparker1 wrote:
Awol wrote:Fingerlakes had its first run on the ONCT this past Tuesday
Awol, so has the need to base an engine in Victor disappeared as a result of this transaction? Also, will the GSRX unit become part of the FGLK fleet?

Brooks
As far as I know GSRX 708 is still GSRX 708. 708 was on lease to the ONCT. While both companies GSRX and ONCT were run by the same folks, I do not believe the 708 was part of the transaction. I could be wrong but as I understand it, the 708 was special to Golden Spike Rail Services (GSRX).

But I could be wrong. I am personally hoping that GSRX held onto the engine as a separate entity.

by nessman

Nothing on the STB's website yet.

Kinda sad... Don and his wife are the life and blood of the ONCT. Shortline railroading doesn't get any better than that.

by Luther Brefo

nessman wrote:Nothing on the STB's website yet.

Kinda sad... Don and his wife are the life and blood of the ONCT. Shortline railroading doesn't get any better than that.
I agree. They were really the main force behind that railroad and kept the railroad alive. I do not think they are completely out of the picture. Mary-Ann is an FRA-licensed engineer as is Don. They are both valuable railroaders with plenty of experience. I am willing to bet they are now part of the Finger Lakes Company as well.

This arrangement has been in the works for some time. I wonder if maybe this sort of transaction does not require an STB filing because there is no discontinuation in service or change in the service?

I cannot find any documentation for when the LA&L first bought controlling stock in the Ontario Central either. In fact the most recent documents that I can find pertaining to the LA&L (not WNYP, or B&H) are from the late 90's pertaining to the Conrail Split.

by bwparker1

nessman wrote:Nothing on the STB's website yet.

Here ya go Les...

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1183780201

As Les mentions, language was filed when LAL took control of ONCT...

From his website...

Surface Transportation Board [STB Finance Docket No. 33674]

Livonia, Avon & Lakeville Railroad Corporation--Acquisition of Control Exemption--Ontario Central Railroad Corporation

Livonia, Avon & Lakeville Railroad Corporation (LAL), a Class III rail carrier, has filed a verified notice of exemption to acquire a controlling interest, through stock purchase, of Ontario Central Railroad Corporation (ONCT), a Class III rail carrier, which operates 14 miles of rail line between West Victor and Shortsville, NY. 1

\1\ See Ontario Central Railroad Corporation--Operations-- Between Shortsville and Victor, NY, Finance Docket No. 29761 (ICC served Nov. 3, 1981) (Modified Rail Certificate), and Certificate of Designated Operator-Ontario Central Railroad Corp., D-OP 33 (U.S.R.A. Line No. 98/1022), Cancellation of Certificate of Designate Operation--Consolidated Rail Corporation, D-OP 6 (U.S.R.A. Line No. 98/1022) (ICC served Sept. 28, 1979).

LAL owns and operates approximately 30 miles of rail line between Genessee Junction yard in Chili, NY, immediately south of Rochester, and Lakeville, NY. LAL also separately operates approximately 35 miles of track between Hammondsport, Bath and Wayland, NY, which is owned by the Steuben County Industrial Development Authority. 2

\2\ See Livonia, Avon & Lakeville Railroad Corp.--Acquisition and Operation Exemption--Steuben County Industrial Development Agency, STB Finance Docket No. 32941 (STB served May 22, 1996).

Under the terms of an agreement with ONCT, LAL will acquire 3,000 shares of ONCT's treasury stock and 8,900 shares of ONCT's stock, which is currently authorized but unissued. The earliest the transaction could be consummated was October 30, 1998, the effective date of the exemption (7 days after the exemption was filed). LAL states that: (i) the railroads do not connect with each other; (ii) the transaction is not part of a series of anticipated transactions that would connect the railroads with each other; and (iii) the transaction does not involve a Class I carrier. Therefore, the transaction is exempt from the prior approval requirements of 49 U.S.C. 11323. See 49 CFR 1180.2(d)(2). Under 49 U.S.C. 10502(g), the Board may not use its exemption authority to relieve a rail carrier of its statutory obligation to protect the interests of its employees. Section 11326(c), however, does not provide for labor protection for transactions under sections 11324 and 11325 that involve only Class III rail carriers. Because this transaction involves Class III rail carriers only, the Board, under the statute, may not impose labor protective conditions for this transaction. If the notice contains false or misleading information, the exemption is void ab initio. Petitions to revoke the exemption under 49 U.S.C. 10502(d) may be filed at any time. The filing of a petition to revoke will not automatically stay the transaction. An original and 10 copies of all pleadings, referring to STB Finance Docket No. 33674, must be filed with the Office of the Secretary, Case Control Unit, Surface Transportation Board, 1925 K Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20423-0001. In addition, a copy of all pleadings must be served on Kevin M. Sheys, Oppenheimer Wolff Donnelly & Bayh LLP, 1350 Eye St., N.W., Suite 200, Washington, DC 20005. Board decisions and notices are available on our website at ``WWW.STB.DOT.GOV.''

Decided: November 10, 1998.

By the Board, David M. Konschnik, Director, Office of Proceedings. Vernon A. Williams, Secretary. [FR Doc. 98-30652 Filed 11-17-98; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4915-00-P

by BR&P

Thanks for the kind words.

ONCT has been blessed with an incredibly dedicated bunch of employees. I have to give the credit to those guys (and woman) for being there through good and bad, putting in ties in 90 degree heat and rerailing when it was only slightly above zero. And all for not much more than you'd make at Burger King. They truly did it for the love of the railroad and the family atmosphere we worked in.

FGLK has offered employment to any of our people who would like it. Of our 8 employees, two of us have already been working for FGLK on a part-time basis. Two others have expressed an interest in part time work there. (All ONCT employees except myself have full-time employment elsewhere). The other four, including Maryann, have decided to close out their railroad "careers".

ONCT has also been fortunate in the customers we have. In talking to folks from other railroads, it seems every line has at least one "customer from hell" who is demanding and difficult to work with. I am happy to say ONCT is the exception, all of our customers have been wonderful to get along with, understanding when there is a problem, and more like friends than business associates or customers.

Operations will be worked out by FGLK and at this point no set schedule exists. I am sure that will be fine-tuned as time goes by. GSRX 708 was not part of the transaction and remains at Victor. It may, or may not, see service on FGLK in the future.

You may play for the Buffalo Bills for years, but if you are traded to the Dolphins you put on the orange and turquoise and hit the field running. FGLK has a proven track record and we look forward to making a contribution to their operation in whatever way we can.

DRB