• One-Seat Ride to NYC on Raritan Valley Line

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by philipmartin

nick11a wrote:
Roger. Maybe NJT should watch this video in regards to the weather: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6qIM2WO6k
What's the moral of this story? Transit will be punished if it refuses to run a weekday schedule because of a few snowflakes in the air?
More seriously, I've been hearing about the "one seat ride" on the radio (that's all I have,) even if negatively-that it may not happen on Monday-and that's advertising.
  by nick11a

philipmartin wrote:
nick11a wrote:
Roger. Maybe NJT should watch this video in regards to the weather: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6qIM2WO6k
What's the moral of this story? Transit will be punished if it refuses to run a weekday schedule because of a few snowflakes in the air?
More seriously, I've been hearing about the "one seat ride" on the radio (that's all I have,) even if negatively-that it may not happen on Monday-and that's advertising.
Who knows!

Actually, no morals... just fun.
  by F40

This is a great start and hopefully NJT can target weekend service to attract customers soon. Honestly, a one seat ride is probably one of the best silver linings for commuters.
  by philipmartin

They will be running trains eastbound from Union station to New York, (as srock1028 below brings to our attention,) for eleven hours, the weekend after next, both days, April 26, 27, 2014. They will be busing between Cranford and Union account taking the Lehigh Line out of service for upgrades to the signal system.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... ntId=10873" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by philipmartin on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
  by srock1028

philipmartin wrote:They will be running trains between Union station and New York, for eleven hours, the weekend after next. They will be busing between Cranford and Union account taking the Lehigh Line out of service for upgrades on the signal system.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... ntId=10873" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please note the direct service between Union and New York is ONLY in the eastbound direction and ONLY for this particular weekend.

-NO BS
  by srock1028

Well today train 5121, the 10:44 AM New York departure to Raritan was cancelled because the inbound equipment (5126) has issues around Portal and was cancelled at Secaucus. If trains still turned in Newark, no such cancellations would have happened....
  by peconicstation

philipmartin wrote:They will be running trains between Union station and New York, for eleven hours, the weekend after next. They will be busing between Cranford and Union account taking the Lehigh Line out of service for upgrades on the signal system.
Of course, had 1 track been kept in service and good repair between Aldene and Elizabeth, they could have run trains to Elizabeth, where an easy transfer can be made to NEC and NJCL trains. Not requiring train to bus to train.

Ken
  by BigDell

Of course, had 1 track been kept in service and good repair between Aldene and Elizabeth, they could have run trains to Elizabeth, where an easy transfer can be made to NEC and NJCL trains. Not requiring train to bus to train.
Word. It still boggles my mind that there is no connection from Cranford to Elizabeth. Not just for these situations. Elizabeth would have been a good x-fer point for people heading down to the NJCL (instead of hiking up to Newark and back down again) and for potentially promoting progress down in the E'port area. Ah but I digress. Have gone down that avenue too many times. Still, how nice it would have been to have that Cranford-Elizabeth connection. No, I'm not foaming. ;-)
  by mlc482

What's the point of running the dual modes into Penn, but not out of Penn? Seems like they will need to run a bunch of DM X trains from NYP-NWK to shuffle equipment. I'm guessing it has to do with Amtrak slots, but on the surface seems contradictory
  by ThirdRail7

mlc482 wrote:What's the point of running the dual modes into Penn, but not out of Penn? Seems like they will need to run a bunch of DM X trains from NYP-NWK to shuffle equipment. I'm guessing it has to do with Amtrak slots, but on the surface seems contradictory
They are running out of Penn. Once they arrive Union, they will transfer to a bus.
  by Amtrak7

ThirdRail7 wrote:
mlc482 wrote:What's the point of running the dual modes into Penn, but not out of Penn? Seems like they will need to run a bunch of DM X trains from NYP-NWK to shuffle equipment. I'm guessing it has to do with Amtrak slots, but on the surface seems contradictory
They are running out of Penn. Once they arrive Union, they will transfer to a bus.
This is not what the public schedule says. It says passengers to NY will get off buses at Union for direct (DM) service to NYP, westbound passengers will do the standard NEC train to NWK for transfer to shuttle to Union for bus.

http://www.njtransit.com/AdminTemp/rvlbusing.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ThirdRail7

Amtrak7 wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
This is not what the public schedule says. It says passengers to NY will get off buses at Union for direct (DM) service to NYP, westbound passengers will do the standard NEC train to NWK for transfer to shuttle to Union for bus.

http://www.njtransit.com/AdminTemp/rvlbusing.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I guess we'll have to wait and see but this is how NJT supervision explained it:

Raritan Valley Train Line: Substitute Bus Service - Saturday, April 26 to Sunday, April 27, 2014
April 16, 2014

On Saturday, April 26 and Sunday, April 27, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., NJ TRANSIT buses will replace Raritan Valley Line (RVL) trains between Cranford, Roselle Park and Union stations due to Conrail and NJ TRANSIT signal modernization work. NJ TRANSIT personnel will be available to assist customers at the affected stations.

EASTBOUND

Customers traveling from Raritan to Garwood will board their regular train and transfer to buses at Cranford.

Customers at Cranford will board buses, which will continue to Union Station, with ONE bus also stopping at Roselle Park Station. Customers traveling to Roselle Park must board the bus to Roselle Park.

Customers at Roselle Park will board a bus that will take them to Union Station.

Customers at Union Station (and customers arriving at Union by bus) will board a shuttle train that will take them to Newark Penn Station (NPS). This shuttle train will continue to Secaucus and New York.

ONLY during the hours of this project (7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.), RVL customers continuing to Secaucus and New York will not need to transfer at Newark.

To view a schedule for eastbound service, click HERE.

WESTBOUND

Customers traveling FROM New York, Secaucus or Newark will board trains as usual and transfer to buses at Union Station.

Customers at Union Station will board buses. All buses will continue to Cranford, with ONE bus also stopping at Roselle Park. Customers traveling to Roselle Park must board the bus to Roselle Park.

To view a schedule for westbound service, click HERE.

Outbound passengers will board the same equipment that shuttles the inbound passengers to NYP. There will be no X jobs. Once you arrive at Union, you will transfer to a bus.
  by philipmartin

Amtrak7 wrote: This is not what the public schedule says.
And the westbound schedule shows normal weekend RV times at New York, Secaucus and Newark- Coast Line times.
In the end, we'll do what management wants regardless of the published information.

http://www.njtransit.com/AdminTemp/rvlwestbound.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by philipmartin

Shrock1028 gave us the reasoning for the one-way ride.
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
  by srock1028

The point is eastbound customers after the bussing/transfers at Union would miss NEC and NJCL connections into New York for that particular hour. They will X the DM trains back to Newark for westbound passengers to connect. It also has to do with timings for Union-NYP shuttle trains. Does this help?