• One Seat Ride Between New York and Bay Head?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by GooStats

Twice in the last week I have seen an ALP45 on the NEC in the Trenton area. Why is it down there? Instead of using it to go to and from Trenton, why not use it to go to and from Bay Head? It doesn't make much sense using it on the NEC.
  by srock1028

GooStats wrote:Twice in the last week I have seen an ALP45 on the NEC in the Trenton area. Why is it down there? Instead of using it to go to and from Trenton, why not use it to go to and from Bay Head? It doesn't make much sense using it on the NEC.
The ALP45 is also an electric engine. It was down there because it was needed to run in electric service. It makes plenty of sense, if an electric engine is needed to provide service, use whatever is available (ALP46, ALP46A, ALP45).
  by philipmartin

GooStats wrote: why not use it [ALP45DPs] to go to and from Bay Head?
They do use plenty of them on Bay Head trains these days. They go by my ticket window in Middletown, and I notice them because I like them, and I hear them on my scanner, confirming that they are in electric mode, with the dispatcher, eastbound leaving Long Branch. A few weeks ago, one of them couldn't raise its pantograph at Long Branch, so he came east in diesel mode.
We also see a few on the 3200s, between New York and Long Branch.
When I went through Suffern a few month ago, I saw one or two in the yard there, so they are all over.
Last edited by philipmartin on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by TrainPhotos

GooStats wrote:Twice in the last week I have seen an ALP45 on the NEC in the Trenton area. Why is it down there? Instead of using it to go to and from Trenton, why not use it to go to and from Bay Head? It doesn't make much sense using it on the NEC.
They don't need to fuel them on NEC runs, do they?
  by TrainPhotos

jackintosh11 wrote:Couldn't they just build a fueling facility in Bay Head?
I think Sandy put the kibosh on that one, NIMBY aside. No one wants a huge fuel tank in a storm surge zone. That is why i suggested sunnyside. Maybe they could put one in at the Mid Line Loop yard? Fill 'er up, run revenue from the loop station to new york then back to long branch under wire, then kapow, switch modes and onward to bay head? Too pie in the sky?
  by ACeInTheHole

They are all over the place.