• OMID 2013 west end track rehab questions and answers

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scharnhorst

I just learned from a friend of mine today 10/13/13 that the Finger Lakes Railway acquired the Ontario Midland and is putting in for a 1.9 million dollar loan to rebuild the track there. From my understanding the customers along the OMID were not happy with the service that was provided. Some of the ones that dropped rail service long ago are willing to go back to shipping by rail only if things improve. From what I gather there is a lot of track that has been out of service for well over 8 years or more?? Dose anyone else know any more on this buy out is there any truth to this buy out? and what will become of the ALCO's and all the other junk that is scattered about that route?
Last edited by scharnhorst on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by BR&P

That's the first I have heard about anything of the kind. I can offer a couple points:

1. I am an OMID shareholder (although a very small percentage). If FGLK bought out OMID without the shareholders being informed I would be upset. An actual purchase may or may not make sense, but shareholders most likely would be advised if the Directors were considering such an offer.

2. OMID is an operating company. The county owns the infrastructure so it is possible the operating contract was terminated and a new one with FGLK could be created. However that would require filings with the STB for operating authority and I have not heard of any such filing.

3. I don't know what may have changed over the past years, but at one time OMID owned the engine house, not the county. If that is the case, that could present issues to be dealt with if the changeover was not friendly and OMID wanted to play hardball.

4. The trackage which was taken out of service had no active customers on it. Nobody was left without service. I find it hard to believe that if someone on the segment needed service, it would be denied.

5. The customers which stopped shipping by OMID - to the best of my knowledge - did so for reasons other than service. Fold Pak shut down. The malt house shut down. I believe Comstock Foods shut down. Durkee Foods was bought out and stopped making onion rings. And so forth.

6. The traffic on that line is very thin. Why FGLK would spend $2M of borrowed money to rehab track, I don't know. Again "as far as I know" the active track is not in terrible shape, and the out of service segment could probably be reopened for far less than that. But given the relatively light carloads and the lack of major industry on the line I'm not sure what would make the line attractive to FGLK.

So I'm not saying flat out you're wrong, but I'm a bit skeptical and would be surprised if that is accurate. Stay tuned for more details, I guess.
  by BR&P

....the ALCO's and all the other junk that is scattered about that route
Last I knew the Alcos were far from junk. And what 'other junk" are you talking about?
  by scharnhorst

BR&P wrote:
....the ALCO's and all the other junk that is scattered about that route
Last I knew the Alcos were far from junk. And what 'other junk" are you talking about?
I'm trying to figure out what's going on as well which is why I put the post up I my self can't find anything on line but then and again who knows what's going on. What I was referring to as Junk is all the stuff sitting over by the Mott's plant there appears to be an old Gondola that was converted to a snow plow a few old ALCO units that appear to be parts and some other older cars.
  by terms-d

Maybe they can negotiate temporary trackage rights over CSX from Lyons to Newark until they finish rebuilding the old PRR from Newark to Phelps :P
  by BR&P

OK - I just talked to an officer of OMID and you can take this to the bank.

OMID has not been sold, OMID is not losing their contract. FGLK is not taking over OMID.

OMID is presently doing extensive track rehab on the east end. This will improve service to Wolcott and North Rose. In fact a siding in Wolcott has just been rehabilitated to serve two customers on it. Relationship with the customers is good. Next year they have scheduled a similar track improvement program from Williamson to Webster. OMID is providing service and improving the line. The quote from OMID is "We're still here and we're not planning on going anywhere".

Now - before throwing Scharnhorst under the bus, here's a possibility to what his friend was talking about. For some time FGLK has been in discussions with NS regarding the Lyons-Geneva segment of their line. While I can't speak for FGLK, quite possibly FGLK *might* be acquiring that line and putting money into track rehab to serve customers there. So that could be what we're talking about here, but it's NOT the OMID.
  by WNYP431

Uh...

...ain't NO way...NO how....NO body...is gettin' NO money....to "rebuild" NO PENNSY from Newark to Phelps.

....God Almighty...

I suppose FGLK is putting in CTC somewhere too. What a bunch of krapolla....

And I just finished up being the Superintendent of Rules there, so let's put that to bed now.

People are crazy.
  by Matt Langworthy

terms-d wrote:Maybe they can negotiate temporary trackage rights over CSX from Lyons to Newark until they finish rebuilding the old PRR from Newark to Phelps :P
lol
  by charlie6017

terms-d wrote:Maybe they can negotiate temporary trackage rights over CSX from Lyons to Newark until they finish rebuilding the old PRR from Newark to Phelps :P
Welp, there goes any chances of seeing any more I-1 Decapods pass by the old water tower at Orleans.......

Charlie
  by scottychaos

WNYP431 wrote:Uh...

...ain't NO way...NO how....NO body...is gettin' NO money....to "rebuild" NO PENNSY from Newark to Phelps.

....God Almighty...

I suppose FGLK is putting in CTC somewhere too. What a bunch of krapolla....

And I just finished up being the Superintendent of Rules there, so let's put that to bed now.

People are crazy.
  by BR&P

My gosh guys, terms-d was making a joke! Take a chill pill and un-wad your panties!
  by lvrr325

You need a facepam picture about every other post on this thread. Then again, certain folks seem to need one about every time they post.

FWIW, OMID owns two plows made from steam locomotive tenders, which can be used when needed, they're not "junk" - there are/were a few derelict locomotives either stored or serving as parts sources, because in particular 539 Alco parts don't grow on trees, but nothing too terrible; the rest is the usual assortment of MOW cars.

What does ring a bell is possibly OMID got some money - a grant, maybe - to rehab the Hojack east to Wolcott, or repair some of the crossings on it at least. I don't remember the details though.

I can't picture them doing anything to make the county so dissatisfied they'd toss OMID out on their butts, after all this time, there's only so much you can do with New York's handicaps in the first place.
  by dj_paige

BR&P wrote:In fact a siding in Wolcott has just been rehabilitated to serve two customers on it.
There are two sidings in Wolcott, only one of which has an active switch (I believe it is identified as the "Reckitt Siding") when I was there this summer. Do you know which of the two sidings has been rehabilitated?
  by BR&P

dj_paige wrote: There are two sidings in Wolcott, only one of which has an active switch (I believe it is identified as the "Reckitt Siding") when I was there this summer. Do you know which of the two sidings has been rehabilitated?
This would be the track on the south side of the main, facing point eastbound. It serves a cold storage and a grain dealer. I know it was used a few times in the very early 1980's but it sat dormant for at least 15 years, maybe closer to 30 years.

There was a third siding there in OMID times but it may have have been removed by now, I have not been to Wolcott in years. This came off the Durkee runaround and went east across Main St. Wegman's egg farm unloaded grain at a pit and farther east across the next crossing was the Team Track. I recall Cahoon Farms bringing in a few cars of metal cans there.

As for the plows mentioned in another post, OMID has one snowplow and one flanger, both made out of old MILW steam loco tenders.
  by dj_paige

BR&P wrote:This would be the track on the south side of the main, facing point eastbound. It serves a cold storage and a grain dealer. I know it was used a few times in the very early 1980's but it sat dormant for at least 15 years, maybe closer to 30 years.
Interesting! Then this is not the siding called the "Reckitt siding", but this means that now OMID has two active sidings in Wolcott, if I am understanding everything correctly.

Regarding the siding on the south side of the main (I would call it the East side, as the main runs NNE at this point, but anyway...)

When I was there over the summer, the switch had been bolted shut, and the switch mechanism had been removed, and it appeared to me that somewhere between the switch and the building, the track had been lifted. In addition, some small tree stumps growing between the tracks had been cut down so a locomotive or freight cars could pass, although the cuts on the tree stumps did not appear to be recent.

I have some photos of the rail "yard" in Wolcott as of June 15, 2013 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15947776@N ... 156711280/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Includes also some photos of the town of Wolcott, so scroll down to the railroad photos)
Last edited by dj_paige on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.