• Oldest Railroad Station in New Jersey?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by wantsrail

News about the Tenafly Staion reopening as a cafe.

I went to the Tenafly Historic Commission meeting tonight.

The Station's waiting room is being tastefully redone to glorify the barrel ceiling. This will be the table service area of the cafe.

The entrance will be near the north end (freight area) of the station.

Just inside the entrance will be a 13 foot long map of the Northern Railroad line.

More info coming soon. :P :P

by CRB

If anyone is interested, I came across this recently:

http://www.historicwoodstown.org/histor ... 10-04.html

The Woodstown station opened in 1883, but was removed from the town center in 1970. As I confirmed this past weekend, it still exists today at the intersection of Route 40 and Commissioners Pike in Pilesgrove.

by GandyDancer

The original Perth Amboy CNJ station (not the current one) I think was built in 1869 or 1870 in the typical ornate gabled CNJ style.

I am told - but haven't found it yet - that when the NY&LB was placed into a cut and the current station was built, the original station was moved a few blocks away and is today a private residence.

I'm going to take a look for it next week.

by steemtrayn

hsr_fan wrote:I think the old station building currently at Allaire State Park was moved there from some location in Monmouth County where it once served.
This station building was originally located in Freneau, Just west of Rt, 79, near Matawan. It was first moved in the early "50's to Manalapan, 4 miles north of Freehold, where the Pine Creek Square shopping center is today. It was moved again in '65 or '66 when the Pine Creek RR relocated to Allaire.

by duey

So it looks like the PVL's Anderson Street station, built in 1869, is the oldest station in NJ still being used. 135 years...wow!

by rvrrhs

I believe one or both of the train stationsaffiliated with Historic Cold Spring Village (Cape May)--Woodbine and Rio Grande--are pre-20th century. I couldn't find the actual dates on the Internet, but maybe someone around here knows?