• Old UP Headquarters Building slated for Demolition

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by updrumcorpsguy

This morning's Omaha World-Herald reports that "Options one, two and three" for the former Union Pacific Headquarters building is demolition. This structure, built in 1909, is a great example of turn-of-the-century architecture, and has witnessed a lot of history.

In a typically Omaha sort of move, the city let UP foist this building off on them in "exchange" for them being able to build a new building which is doubtless very efficient for the railroad, but also one of the most bland building ever conceived.

So part of Omaha's and UP's history will soon be gone. Anyone who wants to snap some photos should get themselves to Omaha.

by AmtrakFan

Was this always owned by UP? I did see the new one when it was being built it looked ugly.

by updrumcorpsguy

yes, it was built as UP's headquarters. There were additions in the 50's and a particularly ugly one in the 70's.

My mom tells me that they already had the liquidation sale. Who knows how much they gutted it in the process.

by Malibu

does anyone have pictures of the old building?

Malibu

by Malibu

Thanks for the pix!

The new building looks very nice. It’s kind of sad to see the old one go though just because of how old it was.

Malibu