• old units

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

by TerryC

How many SD9's and 7's does Burlington Northern Santa Fe still have. How limited are these unit's days? How many GP7's, GP9's, GP28's, GP30's and GP35's does Burlington Northern Santa Fe still roster? How limited are these unit's days as well?. When did EMD make GP28's and is SD9 #6102's* frame bent or is that an illusion?

* http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=68516
keep asking keep learning
http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/

by John_Perkowski

I will simply say this...

I see both Yellowbonnet and Green GP-30s in the grain drags almost daily.

I live along the old Q Main from KC-Lincoln (route of THE Pioneer Zephyr).

by Joe

GP30s are really rare over here on the BNSF main out of Chicago (to Aurora) One time there was a Heritage 1 GP30 on the local, and every now and then there will be a GP30 on a train. Last week I saw a Bluebonnet on a light engine move.

This might help... http://www.online-isp.com/~rcraig/BNSF.HTML

by GN 599

Well the BN GP30's and 35's are really GP39M's E's and V's. They were rebuilt by EMD, Morrison Knudson, and VMV. Since they were rebuilt in 88-90 I think they will be around for some time to come. During this rebuilding program retired 30's and 35's were acquired with lineage from SP, SSW, C&EI, GM&O, SOU, N&W,UP and others to name a few. The Santa Fe also rebuilt theirs as well but did the work themselves. For the most part they look like what they did before rebuilding but some of the BN rebuilds have the small middle radiator fan removed is the most noticeable spotting difference. The ex N&W and SOU units were high hood and have a standard cab like a 35 on a GP30, they look kind of goofy to me. I see them quite frequently out here in the Pacific Northwest, we see the old Santa Fe units once in a while. The BN photo archives is an excellent source of info on these units. We dont have any SD-7's left. We have a few GP10's which are rebuilt GP-7's and look alot like one aside from the chopped nose, but the GN had a couple chop nose GP-7's before the merger anyway. The 1410 rolled through town this last spring looking fine. As for the GP-9's and SD'9's it is anybodys guess how long they will be around. I think they retire them as they suffer major component failures. Last fall they sold four SD-9'S to the Port of Tillamook Bay Railroad. But in a pinch for power they wind up on the main line from time to time. In the January issue of CTC Board they reported about four manifest trains headed by solid consists of SD-9's, one which was a little over 12,000 tons with four SD-9's on the point! I was on a work train waiting for a South man to pass and his second unit was SD-9 6136, it was on a M-PASBAR, a pretty heavy train so needless to say it was earning its keep. I think the management may get a notion to rebuild them because they keep equipping turbo-charged motors with the remote control equippment and I think they will run into problems in the future with them. Anyways working for the BNSF I see firsthand the oddball consists and it is great. I am working in the yard now the last road train I worked was a month ago and it was a solid consist of SD40-2's, not a big deal to most but I like it alot better than the SD70M's and AC44TCE's and stuff my neighbor the U.P. runs. Oh yeah I'd rather ride in one of them than a pumkin any day. :-D

by railroadjeep

I think we sent something like 4 SD-9's to Northtown about a month ago. Theres still something like 4 or 5 SD-9's out in the material yard, pending thier fate. There's also 2 GP-9's up at the roundhouse, just awaiting thier call back to duty.

by shortlinerailroader

In Lafayette, LA, I have seen a GP30-GP60M set switching the yard. Even though the 30 is a rebuilt unit, it still looked interesting working with a GP60M.

Also, although this is a newer unit than a GP30, there is an SD45-2 sitting in New Iberia, LA, with a burned out traction motor. I think the # is BNSF 6474. The SD45-2 is an awesome-looking engine.

Incidentally, how many SD45s and 45-2s does BNSF roster?

by GN 599

The BN 45's have been gone for years. The SF ones left the roster over the last couple years, I think some of em went to NRE. There are few 45-2's left but I think their time is running out. The B units are still around but the ones Ive seen lately are lettered for FURX now.

by emd_SD_60

speaking of the ATSF SD45's, i believe some of them went to CEFX too. Also I have seen numerous ex-Burlington Northern SD40-2 units (still in BN paint) lettered for HLCX.

BTW- most of the ex-BN SD45's went to Wisconsin Central and MRL.

by txbritt

6102's frame isn't bent, but it is sagging due to age.

You'll have this with any locomotive. You should have seen some of the C-420's on the Arkansas and Missouri railroad.

by CNW_4404_Lover

and some of the BN SD45s went to CNW, then to SP to be rebuilt by them

by GN 599

As an employee I have access to the BNSF mainframe emulator, normal employees use it to see when they are going to work, etc but it you can use it to find locomotive history, movement etc, as well as cars trains or whatever. The other day I discovered that all of the BN GP-9's are gone except three ex NP ones with chopped noses. The 1600 is in Interbay laid up good order. The 1619 is in Montana-FRA inspection past due, laid up from service. The 1625 is in Alliance I think-FRA inspection past due, laid up from service. Not sure how many SF ones are left because they dont interest me. Sad day indeed. There is only a handful of the GP-7's (BN) left. For some reason there are quite a few SD-9's left. I think they are too stupid to die! :-D

by AmtrakFan

I can tell you I saw a GP7 last week on a local. EMD made the GP28's were made in the 60's.

AmtrakFan

by kpiersol

Saw GP-7 #1303 way out here in New Jersey on Wednesday going EB. Any clue as to where it's headed? Couldn't tell whether it was traveling dead or not, but I wouldn't think that this unit would be working long-haul road service, would it?

http://kpiersol2.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... x?id=70636

Kim Piersol

by shortlinerailroader

Does BNSF roster any dash 7s with the old-style GE trucks? (Maybe wreck rebuilds?) I saw one on the point of a freight today...it was in the "Heritage I" paint. Initially, I thought it was a U-boat, but those are long gone...are they not? This train was headed toward New Orleans on the Gulf Division.

by GN 599

Yeah it probably was, this last fall while working as a brakeman we had the 4246 as our second unit (where most brakeman ride). It had the AAR type B trucks and rode pretty well I thought. It was a real clear night and when the engineer would grab a couple notches it would be revving up, pause then continue resulting in a nice flame show beneath the starry sky.