• old spur to Lake Washington?

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by salminkarkku

The latest edition of SPV's "Southeast" railroad atlas shows the FEC with a spur from Eau Gallie near Melbourne to Lake Washington, which I think is the furthest up the St Johns River you can take a boat of any size. This spur appears on maps of c1896 (I checked). Was this built as a way of getting construction material in, or did it ever have a public service?

by ACLfan2

I have not seen the newest version that has recently become available, so I can't respond to what is depicted on the map.

However, the line in question was not built or owned by the FEC, but by a local lumber company, named the Union Lumber Company. This Lumber Company constructed a rail line westward from their sawmill in the Melbourne area, crossed the St. Johns River near Lake Washington, and continued on westward into the Jane Green Creek Swamps, in order to convey the cypress logs back to the mill.

In the 1920's, when U.S. 192 was being constructed, the railroad conveyed supplies for use in the construction of the roadway. Also transported were personal automobiles, with a fee of $1.50 per car.

ACLfan2