• Old and closed down Regional Rail stations

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by khecht

rbreslow wrote:um do you know why it branched off from the chestnut hill west line?
Presumably for local freight customers. The PRR ran freight on just about every passenger line - I'm pretty sure the CHW was included in that.
  by rbreslow

khecht wrote:
rbreslow wrote:um do you know why it branched off from the chestnut hill west line?
Presumably for local freight customers. The PRR ran freight on just about every passenger line - I'm pretty sure the CHW was included in that.
Ok thanks did not know that, always take the train home from work and see that right of way with no tracks split off. The original switch track is still on the ground. I know it's and interlocking I still like the term switch track
  by Franklin Gowen

"Why?" Good question, actually.....

The sole reference I've been able to locate is frustratingly incomplete. It claims that the PRR felt it necessary to have another point of contact between the Trenton Cut-Off and PRR routes close to Philadelphia. Opening in July 1893, the Fort Washington Branch therefore owed its creation to larger strategic factors which had very little to do with the suitability of that locality to hosting yet another railroad line. The branch's very modest six and one-half miles existed in an area that, between the competing Pennsy and Reading systems, was already more than adequately served. There were almost no local shippers along this route; in 1945, the branch hosted only five small freight customers (not counting public-delivery tracks). Even though the land was cleared and graded for a double-track route, the branch in its finished form never generated enough business to justify more than a single main track plus two short passing sidings.

The branch lost all remaining passenger service in March 1952 and was severed in the middle in July 1952, ending its use as any kind of emergency through-freight route. What remained was eventually whittled away to nothing. The last remnant (Allen Lane to East Lane, 1.5 miles) was taken out of service by Conrail in July 1978.
  by rbreslow

Hey I was just taking a walk to the old fort washington station (R5) and saw 3 things.
1. The inside of the ticket office has old septa flyers littering the floor as well as trash.
2. The old map there has been covered with a new one. (All ready have my riviet remover and going to harvest the old one)
3. The old platform has been torn up and turned in to a walkway with a fence from the tracks taking you to the new station.

Hope this was interesting for someone.
  by tgolanos

rbreslow wrote:(All ready have my riviet remover and going to harvest the old one)

Um... what?
  by scotty269

rbreslow wrote:Hey I was just taking a walk to the old fort washington station (R5) and saw 3 things.
1. The inside of the ticket office has old septa flyers littering the floor as well as trash.
2. The old map there has been covered with a new one. (All ready have my riviet remover and going to harvest the old one)
3. The old platform has been torn up and turned in to a walkway with a fence from the tracks taking you to the new station.

Hope this was interesting for someone.
2) That is theft
3) That is trespassing
  by CNJGeep

rbreslow wrote:I looked in the window not broke the door down and is a 30 year old map really that important to Septa?
Regardless of whether or not it's important, it's still their property.
  by scotty269

rbreslow wrote:I looked in the window not broke the door down and is a 30 year old map really that important to Septa?
Do you have anything "old" sitting in your house that you haven't touched recently? Can I come over and take it without asking you?
  by rbreslow

Hmmm, well you make a good point. Is the map at the Lenni passenger station still owned by septa? They own the right of way but since the really just abandoned the stations are the maps free? The one at Newtown also?
  by tgolanos

rbreslow wrote:Hmmm, well you make a good point. Is the map at the Lenni passenger station still owned by septa? They own the right of way but since the really just abandoned the stations are the maps free? The one at Newtown also?
ROWs and stations are still owned by SEPTA even if the line is 'inactive.' Lenni is an active training base, so my assumption would be that it would be a bad idea to wander around there, let alone steal anything from there. As far as Newtown is concerned, there is nothing left up there but an asphalt "platform," so I don't think there's a map there anymore. The few remaining stations along the line are leased out to other owners. I wouldn't do anything on their property without their permission, though.

If you really want to (legally) get one of the old system maps, see if they have them in the gift store. I'd be surprised if they didn't.
  by rbreslow

Hmmm, but what "gift store" tgolanos? And I swear when I walked the right of way of the newtown line I saw a map at newtown station.
  by scotty269

rbreslow wrote:Hmmm, but what "gift store" tgolanos? And I swear when I walked the right of way of the newtown line I saw a map at newtown station.
1234 Market Street. SEPTA Transit Gift Store.

http://septa.org/store/
  by scotty269

rbreslow wrote:You think they would have one? (Not to change the subject of the topic)
Call and ask. Or, stop by and look.