Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by metra 613

Hello everone, Last week i went to Blue Island. I was takeing pic was there for about two hour and who shows up. The good old metra police he got out of his can and was like are u a railfan i told him yea. Ok so he was like is it ok if i see some id i like yea ok. Then i was like is it ok to be here yea was like yea but and railfan i see i have to note it.So then he took all my stuff down. Then he saw my scanner he was like u cant have that in ill.I was like what thats new to me he was like i can take u to jail for haveing that i like what. So then he was like well no u know u cant have it dont used it so then hes like i thinks its good if u go now. I was like ok so i went. So whats is it no u cant take photos or yes u can. To him its like yea u cant but no. So whats does everone think about this?

by metraRI

Whaa? Hard to read.

Metra has said they "Will allow people to photograph locomotives, cars, stations, and platforms, etc. from public areas." Metra Cheif of Police said Union Station is not off limits from picture taking.

by Milwaukee_F40C

Metra police should know by now what the policies are. You can take pictures anywhere as long as you are not tresspassing. The scanner is ok too, if they were illegal then Radio Shack wouldn't be selling them. That guy was just giving you a hard time. You should have gotten his name and filed a complaint or something.

by Genevasub

Amen. Whenever I'm out railfanning, I ALWAYS keep a copy of the article from Trains magazine about the Morton Grove incident in January which explicitly details Metra's photo-friendly policies.

(BTW metra 613, not trying to give you a hard time, but please work on your grammar a little. Comprehending your post was difficult...)

by MikeF

The Metra officer may have just been hassling you, but he was not necessarily out of line in requesting your ID. With regard to using a scanner, although it is illegal without a permit in some states (and even then, only when used inside a motor vehicle), there is no such law in Illinois and the officer should have known that. If he had tried to ticket you for it, you could have easily had the case thrown out in court.

by MetraF40C607

Metra Police can ask for ID and run a backround check if necessary. I am friends with the cop who works the Elgin area. He came by Friday while I was out and we chatted and had a nice conversation about taking photos. You can take ALL THE PICTURES YOU WANT, but it MUST BE FROM A PUBLIC AREA. That is the reason I most often find myself on the MILW-W line or UP-W line, because they will usually not hastle me. This is because there are many good locations surrounded by public areas, mainly Metra stations. BTW, Metra cops will ask you to leave if any railroad worker has called you in.

by Tadman

New way to get hassled: The Target rent-a-cop at roosevelt and clark shows up and starts bustin your nads about watching trains from the ground below the Target parking deck. He wasn't mad or very threatening, but he made it clear I had parked in his break spot... I almost laughed.

BTW, the ground behind the parking deck is paved, well lit, and a great place to watch LaSalle street traffic.
  by Amtrak31

I was just hassled at Joliet Union Station yesterday by the Metra Sgt. He told me I wasn't allowed to take photos. That's rediculous. I've been taking photos there for six years with no problems at all from any cops. Next time, I'm definately bringing my TRAINS Magazine Article.

by MetraF40C607

Screw that, just tell him you know about it and that you are on public property. He will shut up real quick, and if he doesn't, then he will be in a world of hell.

by JamesT4

I be at Blue Island and Joliet stations on almost every weekend, and I never had been stoped by either a metra cop, or a (rent-a-cop) security guard.

It is really bull crap that they still trying to stop people from taking pictures of trains, and most(in not all) all ready know that metra allow people to take pictures of metra property.

Just like MetraF40C607 said tell them that if we are are on public property taking photos theres nothing they can do about it.

by Scotty Burkhardt

I love it when the rent a cops hassle me, Being the 18 year old ignorant pain in the butt I am, I throw a fit every time they're around. Searching bags? HA! On what grounds do they have the authority to search any of of our bags? Most of the time I'll play along so long as they're not rude and pushy with me. But every so often, as we all know, theres that pain in the rear security guard that loves the power handed to him/her.

A few months back I was at Union Station. I was in a bad mood (surprise surprise) and looking for an innocent soul to hassle. Just my luck, I stumbled on a power craved slob with a gun. He started complaning and moaning about my backpack and it being a security breach. He demanded to search it. How about no. Bring up the fact that they're not deputised and have no legal right to conduct searches. Add in the fact that EVEN IF they were legitimite officers of the law they don't have a warrent and therfore would have no grounds to conduct a legal search of my personal property.

As you figure, This just pissed him off, he called over a real cop to help his cause. Polite as can be, I brought up the above stated facts to the officer, and to my surprise, the officer sided with me. The officer told the rent a cop "As much as I think its petty not to comply, He brings up a valid point that there is no legal grounds for a search of his personal property."

scotty-1 security-0

As a final slap in the face to the rent a cop, Without saying a word, I took off my bag and showed the officer its contents. Air, A half eaten burger and an iPod. I told them both to have a wonderful night.

I'm such a jerk.

Personally, I've never been hassled for taking pictures. I get hassled for walking on the north concorse at Union Station all the time.

by MetraRy

this one rent a cop wouldnt allow me on the train at Crystal Lake to i showed him the content of my bag. He first asked me what was in it and then when i told him he said to open it up. If there was another train back to chicago in the next hour i would have told him to go F hisself I felt like i was in a dictatorship while riding trains on Sunday. I am almost tempted to right metra a letter a say they won't be getting my ridership on july 3 ever again. It was just plain BS the whole day. Just because am 18 dosent give them the right to search my belongings. Also instead of letting us on trains at the downtown terminals, they made us all line up and wait in the middle of crowed concouses. talk about unsafe. heat, crowds, and drunks dont mix. It was mayham.

by bones

The reason they searched your bags is to make sure you had no alcohol, or weapons.

The reason they hearded everybody in one place Downtown is the same as above.

My advice is stay off of any train on July 3rd. Not a good day for a train ride. I think families who bring thier kids and strollers on July 3rd are nuts!

by Amtrak31

I agree with you, bones.
  by Amtrak31

TRAINS Magazine came up with a new idea, and I think it is a good one. When you go railfanning, you should always attach a Photo ID to your shirt, so it is visible to security or police, and then they will know that you are a law abiding railfan.