• Official "Maple Leaf" Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

Could Amtrak pay CN crews to operate a non-stop train from Niagara Falls to Toronto? I'm out of my depth here if this is possible or desirable.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. JP, now we are really talkin's bout asking your "Brother" to cross.
  by Noel Weaver

Most likely the Toronto trains will not operate past Niagara Falls, New York.
The Montreal trains operate over CN tracks with Amtrak crews but Via does do something to the train in Montrea and I
suspect Amtrak will not operate the train north of Rouses Point except maybe to turn the train on the wye at Cantic unless
they want to put an engine on both ends. Of course they could always reroute the train to the CP at Rouses Point and run
to Lucien-L'Allier commuter rail terminal in Montreal. In this case there would not be any Via operation nor Via employees
involved. While this would be possible, I kind of doubt if anybody involved in decision making would have enough sense to
do it this way.
Central Station in Montreal will probably remain in operation for the commuter operations that facility and I do not think it
uses any Via employees. I guess we will have to wait and see just what happens.
Noel Weaver
  by NS VIA FAN

buddah wrote:
I hope so it will take Amtrak to take the initiative, and make the first move and address the issue, As Ive come to understand by living here for a few years Canada does not really take too many precautionary steps when a strike is looming, and more so has a type of mad dash scramble at the last min. and run with whatever comes up afterwords......
Huh?? have you bothered to check VIA's web site? Lots of info there on which train are cancelled and if alternate transportation is being provided. For example, VIA Train #98 (the Maple Leaf) is cancelled on Friday afternoon from Niagara Falls to Toronto so Amtrak equipment won't be stranded in Canada. No alternative transportation is being provided.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/update/toronto-niagara-toronto
buddah wrote: Edit: currently Amtrak website still selling tickets for trips on days after the strike is to begin for service from NYC to TWO ( 12:50 pm est)
date checked: july 28/09
If Amtrak is still selling tickets then it looks like they are the one not taking precantionary steps!
  by hi55us

I would expect the maple leaf to terminate at nfl and not be terminated all together, their are amtrak servicing facilities at nfl (some empire service trains operate there). I would expect the Adirondack to terminate in MTL and be serviced in the station by via car cleaners (no move to the yard, because the yard crew will be on strike). I would expect the same to happen to the Seattle-Vancouver train.
  by jp1822

NS VIA FAN wrote:
buddah wrote:
I hope so it will take Amtrak to take the initiative, and make the first move and address the issue, As Ive come to understand by living here for a few years Canada does not really take too many precautionary steps when a strike is looming, and more so has a type of mad dash scramble at the last min. and run with whatever comes up afterwords......
Huh?? have you bothered to check VIA's web site? Lots of info there on which train are cancelled and if alternate transportation is being provided. For example, VIA Train #98 (the Maple Leaf) is cancelled on Friday afternoon from Niagara Falls to Toronto so Amtrak equipment won't be stranded in Canada. No alternative transportation is being provided.

buddah wrote: Edit: currently Amtrak website still selling tickets for trips on days after the strike is to begin for service from NYC to TWO ( 12:50 pm est)
If Amtrak is still selling tickets then it looks like they are the one not taking precantionary steps!
With all due respect, I thought I covered this information in the above post - regarding the Maple Leaf. Specualtion since then turned to - what about the other trains heading to Canada (i.e. Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades).
  by NS VIA FAN

jp1822 wrote:......If that is the case, then train 90 (from Toronto to NYC) will operate (as it will have crossed the border by 12 noon), but train 97 will NOT operate by train and no alternate transportation has been arranged for this train. See the train list within VIA's "train advisory list."
jp1822 wrote:......With all due respect, I thought I covered this information in the above post - regarding the Maple Leaf. Specualtion since then turned to - what about the other trains heading to Canada (i.e. Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades).
With all due respect, it is train #97 (from Toronto to NYC) not #90 and it WILL operate and be across the border prior to 12 noon and the beginning of the strike on the 24th.
  by mbutte

It is my understanding that in the event of the strike, Amtrak is planning to bus passengers from Niagara Falls, NY, off of Friday's #63, to Toronto and intermediate points, but that would be no other alternate transportation until the strike is settled...#63/#64 would operate between NYP and NFL only.

Apparently, there is currently no clear picture of what will happen with the Adirondack. My guess is that northbound #69 will be bussed north of Albany as a contingency on Friday, so that the train is not stranded somewhere north of there.
  by AgentSkelly

Well, with the Cascades and the Adirondack, VIA only assists with ticketing, correct?
  by ramonesfan

if amtrak takes the maple leaf to Niagara falls canada and then stops due to the strike the paxs can take a go train over the weekend to Toronto. its a 2 hour trip by go train.
  by buddah

NS VIA FAN wrote: Huh?? have you bothered to check VIA's web site? Lots of info there on which train are cancelled and if alternate transportation is being provided. For example, VIA Train #98 (the Maple Leaf) is cancelled on Friday afternoon from Niagara Falls to Toronto so Amtrak equipment won't be stranded in Canada. No alternative transportation is being provided.

Yes I do check the website however that information was NOT readily available this morning or( at 12 noon last I checked)from VIA Rails Web site just the standard bulletin was presented, so It would seem VIA has begun the less than 72 hour count down check list preparations, I wish they would let Amtrak in on the Joke, lol... as of 8pm EST july 22 (today) I was able to book a ticket one way from NYC to TWO for july 29 and went all the way through the reservation, booking and ID process . I stopped when I reached the payment page..lol
  by AgentSkelly

Is there anything in Amtrak and VIA's policies that would prohibit operating the Maple Leaf with a Amtrak Crew in such a situation?
  by buddah

AgentSkelly wrote:Well, with the Cascades and the Adirondack, VIA only assists with ticketing, correct?
I cant say what will happen to them as those are the only 2 trains I have not taken across the border ( Im a repeated traveler on the retired International and soon to be canceled maple leaf) It will be interesting to see how those two routes fair out as well, being they use VIA's Facilities, however the strike is entails to the VIA engineers Union Im not sure what will happen to maintenance depts. No mater what the big picture is not looking good.. especially with Carabana in Toronto just around the corner.
  by AgentSkelly

buddah wrote:
AgentSkelly wrote:Well, with the Cascades and the Adirondack, VIA only assists with ticketing, correct?
I cant say what will happen to them as those are the only 2 trains I have not taken across the border ( Im a repeated traveler on the retired International and soon to be canceled maple leaf) It will be interesting to see how those two routes fair out as well, being they use VIA's Facilities, however the strike is entails to the VIA engineers Union Im not sure what will happen to maintenance depts. No mater what the big picture is not looking good.. especially with Carabana in Toronto just around the corner.
If its the just the TCRC, then VIA ticketing agents can still report to work for the Cascades and Adirondack as they are a separate union (I think under CAW actually.)