• Official Maine Eastern Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by RAHWAYVALLEY

The ME 489 is returning to the Morristown & Erie's Morristown, NJ shop for a prime mover overhaul. Expect the unit to return back to Maine before the start of the 2009 season.
  by RS115

This was anticipated - they said last year when work was started on the 488 that the plan was to do 489 this year. Both rebuilds driven by their ongoing issues with NIMBY neighbors at Rockland.
  by RAHWAY VALLEY

Any word on the location of the 489? Has it arrived in Morristown, yet?
  by bigpistol

I just spotted this engine in the Allentown Yard.
  by RS115

After it's long trek from Maine, #489 arrived back on the Morristown & Erie today - 18 went east towards Whippany towing it and the Ohio River returning later in the afternoon with one of the ex-Amtrak Material Handling Cars.
A
  by RS115

Maine Eastern 489 was moved from Whippany to Morristown yesterday along with the Ohio River. Both were outside the shops this evening, Ohio River on track 3 and 489 on the track 4/5 lead with one of the material handling cars and the Railway Museum lettered caboose which seems to be getting a lot more use than #4. 563 was in front of the house on 2 - last week it was on the end of the string of stored loco's on the Ridgedale Avenue run-around.

Work has been periodically underway on the project at Jefferson Road - activity level seems to vary but will presumably become more steady with good weather settling in to stay.
  by blockline4180

RS115 wrote: Work has been periodically underway on the project at Jefferson Road - activity level seems to vary but will presumably become more steady with good weather settling in to stay.

I'm assuming you are referring to the transload or truck to train facility with the loading platform??
Good to hear work commenced on that!
  by Mikejf

No wonder why railroads are in trouble. It took well over 2 months to move the 489 from Maine to New Jersey. Hope the didn't have a lot of work to do to it before it needs to be sent back. It will need to head back by the end of the month in order to make it back by June.
  by trainspot

Any updates? Is 489 still at Morristown and 488 in Maine? Will any of the other FL-9s be returned to service?
  by RAHWAY VALLEY

Maine Eastern 489 is still inside the Morristown, NJ engine house.
  by RS115

Did this engine ever go back to Maine? I haven't seen it in Morristown in a long time but it could be in the shop. If still in NJ, anyone know why?
  by blockline4180

RS115 wrote:Did this engine ever go back to Maine? I haven't seen it in Morristown in a long time but it could be in the shop. If still in NJ, anyone know why?
When I went back there last week it was still in the shop.. The bay doors were open and I saw it in there.