Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by SubaruWRX

IrideNHline wrote:I would nominate that the set of cars parked just outside the Stamford yard on the far northbound tracks (closest to the water) just by the highway underpass will be retired first. Currently they suffice as graffiti practice for the local slum.

I saw this pair under the bridge not long ago.. did they really get tagged that quick?
  by DutchRailnut

quik ?? they have been under that bridge for almost 18 moths now
  by gregorygrice

I heard DRM might get them to add to their roster
  by Clean Cab

There's not much left worth saving. There will be plenty of complete M2s for the DRM to obtain in the next couple of years.
  by andre

Otto Vondrak wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:I heard DRM might get them to add to their roster
That's rich. Who did you hear this from?
he heard it from me otto and it ends with that.
  by Westporter

I noticed a day or two ago that the graffiti-coated pair is no longer parked under the I-91 viaduct east of Stamford Station. But the graffiti on the concrete wall remains.
  by andre

Westporter wrote:I noticed a day or two ago that the graffiti-coated pair is no longer parked under the I-91 viaduct east of Stamford Station. But the graffiti on the concrete wall remains.
I passed stamford yard yesterday, the pair was moved inside the yard parked next to the wire train, also noticed a huge hole in the body over the cab.
  by DutchRailnut

Westporter wrote:I noticed a day or two ago that the graffiti-coated pair is no longer parked under the I-91 viaduct east of Stamford Station. But the graffiti on the concrete wall remains.
I 91 ?????? last I looked it was I-95
  by CannaScrews

DutchRailnut wrote:jeeezz nothing like reponding to a 3 month old post, Welcome back.

Ahh - nothing personal (he said) - just making the rounds.

Keep on truckin'
  by Travelsonic

Hopefully somewhat on topic, but given one chief complaint with the M4s and M6s is that they are triplets vs the M2 and new M8s being pairs, making dealing with cars that need maintenance more of a pain in the butt, I had a thought.

Would it be practical, feasible, etc to just strip the M4s and M6s of their center cars, and run them as pairs for however much longer they are going to be in service? I mean, we know the M4s and M6s can run as pairs - having seen, and been on some M4 pairs and an M6 pair, but others would know more than I so far as to whether it'd make ANY lick of sense.
Last edited by Travelsonic on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

feasable yes but why reduce your M4/M6 fleet by 30% ??
their paid for, so why would you take them out ?? you can't justify shopping cars that may or may not have something wrong.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Travelsonic

DutchRailnut wrote:feasable yes but why reduce your M4/M6 fleet by 30% ??
The capacity reduction per M4, per M6 is a great reason as to why it would be much more difficult to implement as ideas go - was just throwing out questions that have been floating through my mind surrounding this.

I know all too well how packed peak trains are - last time being on a Greenwich-GCT evening express where I had to climb over people to move 2 cars.
  by Jeff Smith

Update: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/ar ... 451127.php
Metro-North spokeswoman Marjorie Anders said the harsh winter damaged seven M-2 cars, and one M-6 car beyond repair. Those will have to be retired due to damage to propulsion, braking, and other crucial systems.

Read more: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/ar ... z1R9fSGfpt
  by Travelsonic

Jeff Smith wrote:Update: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/ar ... 451127.php
Metro-North spokeswoman Marjorie Anders said the harsh winter damaged seven M-2 cars, and one M-6 car beyond repair. Those will have to be retired due to damage to propulsion, braking, and other crucial systems.

Read more: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/ar ... z1R9fSGfpt

Wonder which M2 pairs, M6 triplet, are being retired?