• Official Bel-Del Discussion Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CNJ Fan 4evr

I threw together a video of old Bel Del stuff I shot from 1997-1999. I can't believe the stuff I shot from Milford to Reiglesville and how it is no longer used. What a shame. Same could be said for Flemington. I had shots of BRW drilling pellet hoppers for Bemis. Now to think,there aren't any cars at Flemington anymore,either. Who'd have thought it back then?
  by TOMSTV

uvs110516-002.mpg

A Run to Lambertville, on the 4666
  by Mrbratkovics

This is for all you youngsters out there who think it is a good idea to tresspass into the abandoned Curtis specialty papers mill in Milford. If your fine with getting extremely sick for the next week afterwards by all means go ahead. Hell all I wanted was a memory to keep in the future before the mills site was full of rich families. Though personally the only thing I got before passing out was a water pressure guage laying in the area were the wax cars were it still wasn't a plesent thing to go through missing 3 days of work. (Not to mention very few photos for senic reasons)

Just a warming out there.
  by brwfan

Not a good idea to go there. Your lucky you only got sick. That place is fenced off for a reason, besides being toxic its falling down and some of the building isn't structurly sound anymore. Not to mention the legal aspects of it. Although as I mentioned before someone was looking for brown acres with rail access in the area so maybe a business will someday open there. It would be good for jobs opening the railroad back to Milford, and hopefully not have another huge development. Be safe out there
  by Mrbratkovics

brwfan wrote:Not a good idea to go there. Your lucky you only got sick. That place is fenced off for a reason, besides being toxic its falling down and some of the building isn't structurly sound anymore. Not to mention the legal aspects of it. Although as I mentioned before someone was looking for brown acres with rail access in the area so maybe a business will someday open there. It would be good for jobs opening the railroad back to Milford, and hopefully not have another huge development. Be safe out there

I know I'm stupid. But better to get photos and artifacts for the future generations to all see. No matter the cost.
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Hopefully someday they can get south to at least Reiglesville.It would be great to see trains on the Bel-Del all the way to Milford. I rode a couple of trips back in '97 when the BDRV ran excursions from Milford to a few miles north of town.Problem now is people have voiced opposition to the train rides. Someone sent me an article from My9NY about Pohatcong Twp. wanting to shut down the Delaware River excursions because it violates zoning laws. Just some crybaby NIMBY stirring up trouble and the mayor /council going along with it.This is the same Pohatcong Twp. that acted like Boss Hogg and Roscoe, fleecing drivers out of money from their hokey red-light cameras,which thankfully have been shut down by the state.Don't believe me ? Ask anyone who "contributed" to the township till via mailed out tickets. Lest you think I have an axe to grind...I DON'T. I never got a ticket but what is a scam is a scam. Now they want to pick on a non-profit group that is just giving families a fun day out on a train ride. They are nothing but a bunch of bullies.
  by Mrbratkovics

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:Hopefully someday they can get south to at least Reiglesville.It would be great to see trains on the Bel-Del all the way to Milford. I rode a couple of trips back in '97 when the BDRV ran excursions from Milford to a few miles north of town.Problem now is people have voiced opposition to the train rides. Someone sent me an article from My9NY about Pohatcong Twp. wanting to shut down the Delaware River excursions because it violates zoning laws. Just some crybaby NIMBY stirring up trouble and the mayor /council going along with it.This is the same Pohatcong Twp. that acted like Boss Hogg and Roscoe, fleecing drivers out of money from their hokey red-light cameras,which thankfully have been shut down by the state.Don't believe me ? Ask anyone who "contributed" to the township till via mailed out tickets. Lest you think I have an axe to grind...I DON'T. I never got a ticket but what is a scam is a scam. Now they want to pick on a non-profit group that is just giving families a fun day out on a train ride. They are nothing but a bunch of bullies.

Amen
  by NYS&W142Fan

I remember when the crash happened, he was going too fast for the turn. There were skid marks all the way to the edge.
The impact was so great he took down several trees to make it to the river. Sure, blame the railroad because you can't control your vehicle's speed.
  by brwfan

I feel bad that the parents lost their son but its a ridiculous law suit. Seems like they are blaming everyone that has anything in the area. The railroad, the home owners of the land? The only blame should be on the driver who interestly isn't even named.
  by Ken W2KB

brwfan wrote:I feel bad that the parents lost their son but its a ridiculous law suit. Seems like they are blaming everyone that has anything in the area. The railroad, the home owners of the land? The only blame should be on the driver who interestly isn't even named.
Absent an express consent by the client to exclude someone, an attorney not including all potential defendants in the complaint is at risk for a malpractice claim if the plaintiff afterwards is dissatisfied with the results. I will not be surprised if the driver is impleaded by the defendants.
  by rr503

Where are the current freight customers on the line?
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Pro Build is the only regular customer. It is in the old "Kent" yard in P'burg. Baer quarry in Carpentersville loads stone once in a while.
  by brwfan

Just read on nj.com the second family's suing everyone the first family sued, from that accident in 2013
  by Mrbratkovics

brwfan wrote:Just read on nj.com the second family's suing everyone the first family sued, from that accident in 2013
Oh crap