• Oak Point Yard, the Bronx, N.Y.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Spartan Phalanx

I passed by Oak Point Yard yesterday on the Bruckner Expressway, and caught a few glimpses of locomotives and freight in the yard. Quite a bit of both down there. Can anyone give more information about CSX operations at the yard, and in the Bronx in general? Customers, train designations and who they serve, etc....Thanks.

by the missing link

there are 5 yard jobs and 2 road freights, + 2 other railroads that pass through.
2 yard jobs start in the morning, one will do an interchange/transfer run over the hellgate bridge to queens, delivering a fairly large train to NY&A at freshpond, then return w/ more cars towards early/mid afternoon. the other job will do switching in the yard, some industries around the yard, sometimes bring cars up to hunts point market, or cars back. going up to hunts point market, a caboose is used as a 'shoving platform', as this is a long backup move. that can be viewed from edgewater ave. the market itself is not accesible, you wouldn't want to go there anyway, it can be a zoo. there is a park on the otherside of the bronx river that you may be able to view and photograph from w/ a telephoto lens.
around the oakpoint yard itself there are several road bridges over the yard and streets alongside, however, theft is an issue around there, and police/ railroad agents might stop to question you. the thieves have been known to watch the trains as well. use discretion and common sense.
you can also see trains from the ballfields on randalls is., this is fairly safe and public.
there are 2 other jobs that start mid afternoon. one goes up to hunts point market, the other does some yard swiching and builds up the road train w/ the mixed freight cars. that road train departs much later in the evening, and is better seen along the hudson line. the other road train is garbage only from waste manegements harlem river facility. both trains may follow each other out closely when metro north lets them on the mainline after the evening rush.
there is another job that starts after midnight, but you wont be able to photograph it well, though you may see it work, you don't want to be around there.
the other 2 railroads; CP has a train that comes down from upstate and goes to freshpond, it comes into the yard and runs around its train to face the opposite way to head over hellgate. P&W has a stonetrain in warmer months that comes from ct via new rochelle to freshpond, goes through the yard. either of these can run day or night, but mostly night.
check the NY&A/Metro North forums for previous related topics.

by NV290

the missing link wrote:there are 5 yard jobs and 2 road freights, + 2 other railroads that pass through.
2 yard jobs start in the morning, one will do an interchange/transfer run over the hellgate bridge to queens, delivering a fairly large train to NY&A at freshpond, then return w/ more cars towards early/mid afternoon. the other job will do switching in the yard, some industries around the yard, sometimes bring cars up to hunts point market, or cars back. going up to hunts point market, a caboose is used as a 'shoving platform', as this is a long backup move. that can be viewed from edgewater ave. the market itself is not accesible, you wouldn't want to go there anyway, it can be a zoo. there is a park on the otherside of the bronx river that you may be able to view and photograph from w/ a telephoto lens.
around the oakpoint yard itself there are several road bridges over the yard and streets alongside, however, theft is an issue around there, and police/ railroad agents might stop to question you. the thieves have been known to watch the trains as well. use discretion and common sense.
you can also see trains from the ballfields on randalls is., this is fairly safe and public.
there are 2 other jobs that start mid afternoon. one goes up to hunts point market, the other does some yard swiching and builds up the road train w/ the mixed freight cars. that road train departs much later in the evening, and is better seen along the hudson line. the other road train is garbage only from waste manegements harlem river facility. both trains may follow each other out closely when metro north lets them on the mainline after the evening rush.
there is another job that starts after midnight, but you wont be able to photograph it well, though you may see it work, you don't want to be around there.
the other 2 railroads; CP has a train that comes down from upstate and goes to freshpond, it comes into the yard and runs around its train to face the opposite way to head over hellgate. P&W has a stonetrain in warmer months that comes from ct via new rochelle to freshpond, goes through the yard. either of these can run day or night, but mostly night.
check the NY&A/Metro North forums for previous related topics.
An excellet summary.

But as a reminder, Hunts Point is NOT a place you want to be after dark. While it has gotten alot safer in the last 10 years, i still would strongly advise against being there in late hours or on quiet weekends. Alot of shady types down there. Hanging around with camera equipment is asking for trouble. And the police regulary will pull over and question anybody with out of state plates or people driving nice cars and or dressed/looking out of place because of lots of drug dealers and prostitution. So just be aware. You could try driving down the hill into the yard and simply asking to take some pictures from the parking lot, often they will be ok with that.

by Noel Weaver

I can't think of a worse place to take pictures, observe or just railfan in
general anywhere in the north east.
If the police don't bother you, the local natives will and you are not safe
anywhere in the area even in the daylight.
There are good, decent and safe areas to photograph in New York and
New Jersey, Oak Point and the South Bronx are not part of this.
I remember years ago working Oak Point, Hunts Point and Harlem River
Yards and using the Pelham Subway line to Brook Avenue, 149th Street,
Longwood Avenue or Hunts Point Avenue stations depending on just where
I was going to work and worrying every time as to whether I would make
it without a problem. Many a railroader got robbed going back and forth
between the yard and the subway. This was 40 plus years ago and I
can't imagine that it has gotten any better today.
My advice to all who read this is to STAY AWAY from this entire area.
Noel Weaver

by stormfather

I work in the South Bronx. It could be worse. Just don't go at night, and don't do anything that makes you look like a tourist, like... takin pictures...