• NYS High Speed Rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by RTA

Senate majority leader, Joe Bruno, is going to announce today a plan to restart NY's high speed rail. The plan calls for a high speed rail from NYC to Albany to Buffalo. Travel times from NYC to Buffalo would go from eight hours to just three. Trains would travel at 200mph.
here's the story:http://www.wstm.com/Global/story.asp?S=3089933

by DogBert

There is clearly a drug problem in albany, and now we know who some of the main users are.

by bwparker1

While it is amazingly farfetched, don't just bash the proposal, I am glad to see someone recognize that this type of service would be a shot in the arm for Western New York, and Could be a model for the rest of the country.

I'm sure if this happens, It will be in 50 years, but I comment someone for proposing it, rather than subsidizing Airports and roads.

Brooks

by Aji-tater

This actually happened yesterday. Bruno was a bit befuddled - the local radio station had sound clips of him saying if this was like Japan, we would have 3-hour service from Buffalo to New York. He then proceded to say you'd get on the train at 7:30, and by 9AM you're in New York. Leave New York at 5PM, and by 6:30 you're home. Or words to that effect. Funny thing is, the way I learned math that's an hour and a half, not 3 hours, and an average speed of about 285 MPH. Now that IS high speed rail!

The proposed study would cost 5 million dollars. Do the math and see how many new crossings, or ties, or whatever could be put in for that amount. {and that's just for the STUDY}. And just how many people travel between Buffalo and New York each day?

His idea of spending money on rail is good. He just needs some guidance on how to spend it in the most useful places, not on Buck Rogers pipe dreams.
  by RS112556

I suppose you have to admire Senator Bruno's vision but, at this point in time, it's largely pie in the sky. Indeed the Japanese bullet trains are a wonderful example of what rail transportation could be in this country if a serious commitment were made in providing the neccesary infrastructure. As we know, these trains are an entity unto themselves; the lines are designed for the speed involved, the tracks aren't shared with other trains and there are no crossings of highways at grade. You won't get that trying to use the present Water Level Route so you would have to fund the construction of a whole new system. With the present and foreseeable fiscal condition of this state; even with funding from the Feds, don't look for such an undertaking anytime soon.

by Noel Weaver

It would make a lot more sense if they took the five million and added a
little more to it to upgrade the tracks and especially the signal system
west of CP-169 at Hoffmans.
There are sections of the line that could well support speeds in excess of
100 MPH with upgraded tracks and a good cab signal/speed control system
in place.
To do a study is, in my opinion, a gross waste of money.
The engines are running at full speed, only problem, they are in neutral.
Noel Weaver

by RTA

It does seem true that we spend a gross amount of money to study things but build nothing. If the tracks between Albany and Buffalo could upgraded, than I agree that building a new ROW along the NYS thruway is just stupid. This study is unfortunetly just a big waste of money, but you never do know.
  by toddr4fun

Someone brought up the question of daily origination / destination traffic between Buffalo and New York. http://www.Faremeasure.com can give you an idea of the potential of this route. The airline that I indicate below shows the airline with the most O&D traffic on the route. The price is the average one-way fare paid between the city pairs on all airlines.

BUF/NYC
2068 passengers/day - Jetblue - $93.82

ROC/NYC
1142 passengers/day - Jetblue - $95.55

SYR/ROC
511 passengers/day - Jetblue - $110.76

ALB/ROC
40 passgeners/day - Continental - $198.63

Just looking at O&D air traffic shows the potential of this route. So to answer the question, YES, there are a lot of people that fly the 1.5 hrs between Buffalo and New York. For BUF/ROC/SYR, flights to New York are the #1 O&D city for the airport.

by O-6-O

NY to Buff, when I read that I thought he was nuts. Then I read it could
go along the T-way and I KNEW he was nuts. Can you imagine the battles
with the Nimbys and the cost of enviromental impact studies? Never going
to happen. You couldn't dig the Erie Canal in todays environment. Since a
dedicated passenger line along the Water Level Route is the only practical
possibility this would be the only place to study IF you were going to do it.
Real high speed service means Mag-Lev. IMHO,this is what the future holds.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--~-oo--oo-

by JoeG

I believe Mr Bruno's motivation is that he has SuperSteel in his district and he is trying to get them some business. The chances of NY funding high speed rail in the next 10 years, at least, is nill. The state is in hock up to its ears and can't pay for the rail projects it is already committed to.

by SRS125

Knowing that this project has been talked about for a long time dose anyone know Where would they build the right of way? Would it follow Interstate 90 and the current Main Line on the ground or on an over head structure?

by J.D. White

I could just be way too tired here or just plain wrong abou MY proposal, but what's wrong with a third main track on the bed along the already existing mainline from Albany to Buffalo? This could be the high speed rail line, but the only catch is with speeds nearing 200 mph, there cannot be grade crossings.

I'm turning in ... Zzzz ...

by Otto Vondrak

Maybe Bruno was using high-speed rail as metaphor for overall improvements to New York State passenger service. Or, maybe he got a bad breifing from his staff. A REALLY bad briefing.

A family friend of mine is mayor of a large city in the Hudson Valley. She was talking to me about the new "Amtrak High Speed Rail" that will be stopping at her city. Based on her discussion, she was convinced that something similar to Acela was going to be stopping at the depot! After I explained to her the reality of Amtrak's service, she had a better idea of what was expected for the future....

-otto-

by JoeG

There was an article in a free paper serving the Rockland/Bergen area authoritatively stating that Suffern's parking need would be reduced because of a new railroad that had just been finished in nearby Northern New Jersey. (No town was mentioned.) I sent them a note asking for more details on the new railroad but got no reply. Wonder if the reporter would like to buy a bridge....

by ANDY117

The thruway? WHAT ABOUT US!?! You know how much traffic would be off of Rt.17 between here and middletown? 2/3! they're mostly people commuting along there. But the thruway? it already has the thruway, what more do they need?