• NYO&W remains in the Liberty, NY area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by krobar

Can anyone give me a heads up on O&W in the Liberty, NY area? Every year my family has a reunion in the area and I'd like to do a little exploring around there. PS, I think there should be a seperate NYO&W forum in the fallen flags section. Any one agree with me?

by railtrailbiker

Just west of Liberty you can legally explore the old NYO&W ROW on the Parksville, NY Rail Trail. Same goes for portions of the ROW east of Liberty in the South Fallsburg area. Most other ROW segments in the area are privately owned.

by Schooltrain

Isn't a significant portion of NY 17 down through the Liberty area also built on the ROW of the O&W? I seem to recall a roadside rest area with a historical marker about the building of the Quickway, as it was named in the early 1960's. That rest area was smack dab in the middle of the ROW.

by JBlaisdell

From what I know, the westbound lanes of 17 are in on the R-O-W thru Roscoe.

Follow 52 west from Liberty's center. Crosses line up the hill near Yuan Supply.

Old Ferndale trestle footings visible. Take Sullivan Ave from 52 on east side of 17 past the fast food joints and under 17 (this is also where exit 101 is, I think). Old piers are between the Exxon and the antique shop. The shop is open Thur-Mon, and I believe they have a couple pics of the trestle there.

Heading east on 17, after cresting summit you can see where the line crossed at a 90 degree, easier to see on east side.

by EHBLABEY

The O&W Ferndale station stands - and it is in excellent condition. The depot is now the office of County Petroleum Products, just off Old Rte 17 in Ferndale. (Incidentally, the O&W's Monticello station also serves as the office of a petroleum distributor.) The Liberty station can be seen by going up Lake Street Hill in the village. It's on the left where the road crosses the former O&W right of way.