• NYNJ Rail Sightings

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by C-LINER 2001

That Southern cover hopper was something else, seen it on the Central Branch Saturday, built 1-71, of course I left camera at home, thanks.
  by Teutobergerwald

There was a Southern covered hopper at the NYA's Richmond Hill team yard Saturday night, where that glass recycler is loading.
  by jtunnel

Davidson Pipe still gets cars, but not in Brooklyn (for some time now)

Trans-loaded in New Jersey.

With that said, I imagine they could get cars sent to Brooklyn, Last pipe load I've seen in Brooklyn was several years ago.
  by ccutler

Really? Transloaded in NJ instead of taking the railcar ferry? That says something about the pricing of the railcar float versus the bridge tolls for trucks.
  by jtunnel

Sure, why give NYNJRR a cut of ther revenue if you are CSX/NS whne you have a shipper who can save from having to use a NY rate Teamster (who gets paid for a day, no matter what) Use a NJ Teamster, independant or non-union driver and pay the toll since you have to pay them for the time they are actually hauling your material.

Conrail SA has plenty of places West-of-Hudson that NS/CSX has plenty of facility capacity.
  by ccutler

jtunnel: thanks for the insight on teamster labor practices in NYC. Its always gratifying to see tens of millions spent on infrastructure, only to see jerks at a local union destroy both the economics of the investment and the reputation of their hardworking peers at other locals.

I just saw [9:34am] the carfloat crossing the harbor westbound. I could make out a few centerbeams, a tank car, and two boxcars. There may have been more cars on the other side that I didn't see.
  by ccutler

And now [11:18am] I see it returning across the harbor eastbound toward Brooklyn. I can make out three loaded centerbeams, a black gondola, and an oxide-red covered hopper. The barge has three tracks and I can only make out about half of the cars with my binoculars...the barge is about two miles away.
  by ccutler

Try to make out which barge is the car float...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by jtunnel

CC, not to delve to far into labor practices, (as no one is free from "jerks") it is also a function of the Railroad's Management too.

Why share revenue with NYNJRR and/or NY&A if one does not have to.

CSX/NS have plenty of money tied up in infrastructure west-of-Hudson. (NS has a pretty decent amount of infrastructure well in Allentown, CSX up in Guilderland, NY)

As long as the customer is served. (and the shareholders are "happy")

Few photos from Monday:

http://jtunnel.rrpicturearchives.net/ar ... ?id=116448" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ccutler

jtunnel,

We know who is not served...the drivers stuck at 15 MPH on Staten Island highways. Sounds like they may want to raise the truck tolls further/reduce the charges on NYNJ. If NYNJ is competing against drayage charges, maybe that's what they should charge, not a revenue split with NS/CSX.

Thanks for the great photos! Are they running one or two round trips per day for the barge now?
  by rr503

Yeah, thanks for the photos!
Yesterday, I was on the BQE and I could have sworn I saw a big pile of lumber in the yard. Was I hallucinating?
  by Backshophoss

If the PA raises the truck tolls,as they already do with "demand" pricing during "rush hours",
that cost is passed on to the customers, a lose/lose deal.
If the material is delivered to warehouse on NYNJ trackage,to trans loaded,the NYNJ gets a nice
chunk of change as the delivering carrier on either side of the river/bay.
  by Casey Jones

June 20th around Noon -- pulling around 9 cars
IMG_0245.JPG
ADMIN NOTE: Clicking on the pictures will open them properly rotated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by rb

That CDEX gon looks like a C&D car. What will that be carrying?