• NYGL fire

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pateljones

Well, I guess the cries to shut down this waste transfer station will increase now. I see Jim Wilson is quoted. Anyone know what happened with the DWI charge he faced in Glen Ridge last year?

Fire scorches Passaic waste transfer site

Wednesday, April 5, 2006

By ALEXANDER MacINNES
HERALD NEWS

PASSAIC -- A controversial waste-transfer rail station on Passaic Street, which stores on average of 320 tons of construction and demolition debris, caught fire Tuesday morning and still was not completely extinguished by early evening, fire officials said.

Two Passaic firefighters suffered minor injuries but refused medical care as fire crews cautiously extinguished the blaze from the perimeter of the property, rather than entering the corrugated metal building where the debris burned.

"The contents were unknown and it was too dangerous to make an attempt [to get inside],"said Deputy Fire Chief Jose A. Roman.

Fire Inspector John Miskovsky said he could not comment on the possible cause of the fire.

The transfer site began operating last May over objections by some city officials and residents. Because the site is a rail-based station, it needs local or state permits under the preemption clause in the 1995 Interstate Commerce Commission Termination Act.

Passaic land-use and zoning boards had no oversight on its operations and city officials cannot cite it for violations.

Jim Wilson, president of the New York & Greenwood Railway Co., which operates the transfer station, said the cause of the fire was undetermined, but there were 160 tons of mostly wood and plaster construction debris in two freight cars on site at the time of the fire.

He said no asbestos or chemicals "that we know of" were burned in the fire.

County health officials responded to the scene to conduct environmental air tests. They concluded that the burning trash was not a chemical danger to the public, according to Deborah Drake, an officer with the Passaic County Health Department.

Fred Mumford, a spokesman with the state Department of Environmental Protection that is responsible for inspecting the facility, said the DEP will investigate the fire.

by sullivan1985

I really hope the U34CH didn't get damaged from the fire considering it's parked RIGHT next to the building. If it did, thats an even better chance that it will never run again.

by snavely

OK, the air quality tests showed no chemicals, that's good... Jim, for future reference, asbestos does not burn. That's why it was used for insulation and fireproofing... Having worked in the solid waste industry for 10 years, I can tell you that fires like this are fairly common, an occupational hazard more or less. They are usually minor, caused by spontaneous combustion, a smoldering cigarette butt, sparks, etc. Construction and demolition debris is mainly wood, shingles, wallboard, furniture, stuff like that which is mostly combustible. This story sounds like a typical trash fire, with the usual result- no harm done, just some debris burned and non toxic smoke generated.

by cjvrr

I do not know if it has sprinklers, but I would have thought a building such as this would have a sprinker system, especially being built in Passaic, with residential buildings just across the street. If they didn't have sprinklers, they should consider it now.

Building isn't even a year old, hope the structure didn't suffer too much damage other than the holes the FD cut in it.

by Spinner

Hate to make a first post on this..

The place is in BAD shape. U34CH seemed to be in OK shape but there is a huge part of the frame of the structure that got pushed out and it's real close to the U34CH.

The structure itself is scorched on all sides and the FD punched out holes on every side of the place except the front. The front is closed by the way..and two Skeena hoppers are sitting in the yard and they are burnt to hell on the top.

Anyway..there are a good deal of cars on the siding by Monroe St..

by n01jd1

Now I am glad it went over and took the video and stills that I did. Looks like its going to be a long time before that trash facilty is up and running, if it is allowed to reopen at all. I am certain the City of Passaic will fight the reconstruction of the transfer building tooth and nail now. So much for the NYGL, if they loose Atlantic Coast Fibers they are done for.

Spinner wrote:Hate to make a first post on this..

The place is in BAD shape. U34CH seemed to be in OK shape but there is a huge part of the frame of the structure that got pushed out and it's real close to the U34CH.

The structure itself is scorched on all sides and the FD punched out holes on every side of the place except the front. The front is closed by the way..and two Skeena hoppers are sitting in the yard and they are burnt to hell on the top.

Anyway..there are a good deal of cars on the siding by Monroe St..

by njt4172

Yes! An unfortunate shame!!! I also heard rumors that Atlantic Coast Fibers may close..... Not good! :(

by Irish Chieftain

I guess the cries to shut down this waste transfer station will increase now
Nothing like more trucks on the road, right?

by kilroy

Irish Chieftain wrote:
Nothing like more trucks on the road, right?
Don't you know, in Nimbyland, if we close our eyes, bad things aren't there any more.

If only there was a pill we could give the NIMBY's so they could become masters of the obvious....