• NYC "Stream" series sleeper lounge

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by C&O 15

I am the new owner of the NYC Swift Stream, and would love to learn more about the history of this car, and the "Stream" series of sleeper lounges in general. The cars were built by Budd and delivered in 1949. I think there were 11 cars total in the order. This particular car went to Amtrak and was bought by a private owner in the early 1990s.

Things I am especially interested in include:

1) On which trains were these cars used most often?

2) What china and silver patterns would have been used on this car?

3) Does anyone know of historic photos that might show the Swift Stream in operation?

Here's a website showing the car as it appears today: Swift Stream. It is fully operational and Amtrak certified. The lounge layout has been modified from the way it originally looked - it now has more booths and less lounge seating.
  by Jeff Smith

Welcome, TRAINS! I can't believe in 8 years on php no one registered that name!

Just an additional note; this topic on a specific NYC PV is in the NYC forum, but additional resources on PV's are here:

Private Rail Cars: Resources Operations Statistics Etc.