• NYC Fairmont A3 Motorcar question

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by rocketman

I have a Fairmont A3 Motorcar that I recently acquired. There's no serial number plate on the car itself. But the serial number on the engine came from an A3 that was delivered to the NYC in 1946. Furthermore another plate next to the engine serial number indicates the motor was rebuilt by a company in Utica. The motors serial number plate was also taken off and re affixed at some point as four new holes were used instead of the original four to put the serial number plate back on the engine. Does anyone know number series NYC gave these A3's? I did find an enameled number plate hidden on the end of the car behind a jerry rigged rear wall with the number 3394. I would like to know where the original builders plates are. I acquired this car from the Upper Hudson Railroad and am in the process of restoring the car.
Thanks
Chris
  by urrengr2003

I ran a Fairbanks-Morse two man car in '69 & '70. It carried # M-4272 which was it's origional NYC number, although counterfit after the merger