• NYC #30 - Business Car/Inspection Car

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Eliphaz

While considering modeling projects, I came across this business car,
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-30.jpg
and I wondered,
what sort of business is conducted in a business car?
railroad business only, or could the car be hired?
What sort of trains did it get attached to?

Id be grateful for leads to other pictures.
  by R Paul Carey

NYC 30 in later years was Conrail 10, operated as part of CR's "Office Car Special" fleet. The car had a small galley and lounge seating. It was used on various inspection trips but probably is best remembered in connection with Operation Lifesaver.

When the CR assets were split between CSX and NS, this car went to CSX.

I believe this car may have had a history of use on the Empire State Express as the Hudson River... perhaps another can either confirm or correct that, as a matter of fact.
  by ExCon90

Eliphaz wrote:While considering modeling projects, I came across this business car,
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-30.jpg
and I wondered,
what sort of business is conducted in a business car?
railroad business only, or could the car be hired?
What sort of trains did it get attached to?

Id be grateful for leads to other pictures.
In response to the general questions above, an official of a fairly high rank would conduct periodic inspections of the railroad, sitting on the right (in the direction of movement) side of the car looking out the back and shooting off rockets to supervisors responsible for various aspects of the railroad, which were duly taken down by a stenographer sitting opposite, who would later retire to his bedroom (equipped with a typewriter table), transcribe his notes, and hand them in at a covenient station to be forwarded to the recipient by railroad mail or other means. Often the recipient of the official's comments would be present aboard the car while it traversed his territory and would have the benefit of the accompanying sounds and gestures. The cars were normally used only for railroad business, which could include meetings with shippers, sometimes while stationary at an on-line point--shippers could usually be counted on not to turn down an invitation to dinner or breakfast on a business car; also, the cars were ideal for showing off trackside industrial properties to individuals responsible for fostering local industrial development, or for showing a shipper the actual route taken by his shipments. For travel to a specific meeting in another city, a convenient overnight train would usually be chosen; for daylight inspections, either a convenient day train, or often a special train would be operated specifically for the trip.
  by Eliphaz

Spendid answers, my thanks. Having been a mid level regional manager of (stationary) assets myself, the description of the executive review of ones post brings me that cold sweaty, hard to swallow feeling. at least they ate well, and probobly had a nice bourbon and soda.

"A convenient overnight train" is good news for the prospects of the model getting done as in particular I am interested in portraying "Empire State Express", "New England States" and "20th Century" consists. would #30 have been cut into such consist in the head end perhaps, or can one imagine #30 having been coupled behind Hickory Creek ??
  by erie2937

NYC 30 was built as a parlor-observation car by Pullman in 1925 in Pullman Lot 4682. Its original name was Queen Elizabeth. It was acquired from Pullman in 1942 and given the name Victoria Park. In October 1952 it was placed in company service and given the number 30. Conrail renumbered it to 10. It is an open platform heavyweight car. The Empire State Express was streamlined on 7 December 1941. It is highly unlikely that Victoria Park ever operated on the rear end of 50 or 51. I believe it was assigned to the Canada Southern/Michigan Central and operated between Detroit and Suspension Bridge(Niagara Falls NY). It was a sister car to Falls View(originally Queen Isabella). In May 1953 Falls View was placed in non-revenue service and given the number X23316 and was retired in October 1961.
  by erie2937

Some additional info on NYC 30:

Built by Pullman, May 1925, to Plan 3957 in Lot 4862 as 26-seat parlor-observation car Queen Elizabeth for service in Michigan Central's Twilight Limited.

5-35 renamed Hudson River for service in NYC's Empire State Express.

11-42 renamed Kalamazoo River.

Later it was renamed Victoria Park before being renumbered 30 and placed in company service.

Two other cars built at the same time in the same lot were used in Lehigh Valley's Black Diamond.
  by Eliphaz

fascinating and varied history on the old girl. thanks to all.
Im very interested to find a pic of the right hand side in her days as #30.