• NY&A Rolling Stock??

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Mr rt

If NY&Atl gets rid of that car I guess that means the end of Santa at Chriastmas in Fresh Pond.
  by DogBert

Does NYA still have one of the exLIRR cabooses? If I recall right they got two, and one burned up down in bay ridge and was eventually dragged to gershow in ENY for scrapping.
  by jayrmli

>Passenger car air brakes have to setup for "direct release" when put on a freight train,if left in normal
>"graduated release",the brakes will not work properly and create problems.
>Passenger Cars used in Mixed train service had to set up for direct release.

Backshophoss all of the coaches upon decommissioning at Morris Park were set up for direct release. Fortunately, that's one issue that wasn't encountered during any movements of the cars.
  by Teutobergerwald

An NYA caboose burned in Bay Ridge? Arson or a mishap?
  by DogBert

This was around 2000. Probably a homeless person moved in & toasted it staying warm. I believe it was lirr #71 in it's former life.
  by Crabman1130

I believe NY&A had 2 LIRR hacks. C62 and C66.
  by jayrmli

C71 was stored in Fresh Pond in the mid 1990's when LIRR still owned the freight. I went in it once, and it had been modified as a makeshift office/filing room. Several filing cabinets and florescent lighting on the roof. It was parked on Track 11 at the end of the track. Just before NYA took over, it was vandalized and set on fire.

As stated above, NYA received two other hacks from LIRR, C62 and C66, as they needed to be used for awhile on the ore jennie trains going to Prima. After the big derailment at Hicksville, LIRR Special Instructions called for an "occupied cabin car on the rear."
  by mikey cruz

What actually happened out at Hicksville?
  by Teutobergerwald

And when did it happen???
  by freightguy

In the late 90's the rock train heading out to Prima derailed around Westbury team track. I believe it was still during LIRR freight operations. If you go to the NY TIMES archives there is a small article. It was right before the inception of NYAR, I believe they dragged the cars for a bit coming near Divide interlocking. JayRMLI may be able to add to this. The cars may have not derailed some of their bottom components may have dragged and damaged the infrastructure.
  by SwingMan

Wasn't there also a derailment in Queens Interlocking with those cars as well?
  by freightguy

"Wasn't there also a derailment in Queens Interlocking with those cars as well?"

Yes, that one was a lot worse in the busy section of railroad. It was around 1993 or so during the winter. After that LIRR put a speed restriction on ore jennies 30 mph and only 20 mph around curves until they no longer ran on the property.
  by jayrmli

There were two major mainline derailments involving the LIRR ore jennies. The first was in March, 1993 in Queens Interlocking. This blocked the Main Line and Hempstead Branch for several days. Coincidentally, once the derailment was cleaned up, the railroad was basically shut down due to an ice-storm/blizzard. When I was qualifying at NYAR, Bob McDermott from LIRR was giving us a lecture on Train Orders and brought in a video he took of the cleanup. You could see the snow starting to come down in the video. So not too many trains went through before everything shut down.

The second derailment happened just prior to NYAR assuming freight operations. I believe it was February 1997. Some rigging began dragging off one of the jennies somewhere between Nassau and Divide. Some track and infrastructure was torn up along the way, and when the train reached Divide Interlocking, everything went downhill. While there was trouble found with the equipment, a contributing factor was also placed on the engineer, who was traveling in excess of 10MPH of the allowable speed.
  by SwingMan

Are there any photos of either situation? Can't seem to remember ever seeing any..
  by mikey cruz

I always laugh when I see ore jennies because all I can think is...........whoever ties in the air has to hold thier nuts while goin between the wheels LOL! Thanks for the info on the derailments.