• NY&A Freights on Port Jeff Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by SOO4601

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm really into railfanning NY&A Freights all over the Island as I'm sure all of you are. I'm only 113 but I go railfanning a lot with my Dad. I believe that Scrap em Again works on the NY&A, and anyone else that would know, are there any freight trains scheduled to come throught Smithtown anytime soon?

I know that the Port Jeff branch hardly has any freight use but I'm just wondering because occasionally I will see a freight every now and then. (And my video camera is always ready!)

Thanks,
Dietrich :-)

by jayrmli

I'm only 113 but I go railfanning a lot with my Dad.
Gosh. You make me feel so young again! :-D

Jay

by jayrmli

Jay

by Spartan Phalanx

Check out the Greenlawn and Northport topics on this forum. They may give you more information.

by Spartan Phalanx

An NYA train went westbound through Northport this morning at about 1105. I don't know if it took the siding just east of the LIRR station to await the passage of an eastbound LIRR train, or if it went straight through to Huntington to service Kleet Lumber and the other lumber yard there.

by SOO4601

jayrmli wrote:

Jay
:wink: Whoops, wow my last birthday I gained 101 years. Man, time flys. :-D

Thanks for the info guys,

by SOO4601

I'm curious as to if any of you guys out there heard what sounded like a freight train going through Smithtown today at 12:00 exactly. It sounded to me like a slow moving freight train to me because the engineer was really layin' on the horn over and over again; it also seemed very long because you could here it rumbling through for a long time. Wish I was there to see it but I was at school. :(

Did anyone hear this today?

Thanks,

by Spartan Phalanx

NYA ran yesterday, so it was probably an LIRR work train, but I'm not certain. Maybe an NYA or LIRR employee on here would know.

by John 61

Dietrich,

What you heard today at 12pm was the LIRR training train. It was MP-15 #165 with 5 loaded hoppers and 150 on the west end. Seems the LIRR runs these trains for only a week or two for training purposes. The last time was in the fall and there was one also in the summer. It runs from Port Jeff to the Northport siding were they head back east. Today it ran west through Smithtown at 9am back east around 10:05 west again about 11:15 and finally east at 11:50. They waited in the station until 12pm and went east after the regular passenger train passed. Last night there was a broken rail west of the Northern Blvd crossing in St. James. There might have still been some track workers in the area so that might explain the horn. The grade from Landing Ave in Smithtown going towards St.James is pretty steep. Sometimes the train sounds pretty loud under load. Here's a shot I took last week of the same train. It is approching then crossing River Road, heading up the hill.

URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

by SOO4601

Wow thanks John! :-D Great pics too! Was this the only time the LIRR training train is running? Or is it running this whle week at the same times?
Thanks for the fill in on what's happening.
:-D
Dietrich

by M1 9147

Yeah the same equipment that I saw last week at PJ. They keep that train there a lot.

by John 61

On Friday morning just the engines from the training train went west at 9am. Probably left the hoppers in Port Jeff. I'll let you know if they return next week. The NYA passed eastbound at 10:30 with six cars. Dropped off a centerbeam at Pt. Jeff and picked up a boxcar from Tuesday. FYI, the railroad tracks pass right behind where I work here in Smithtown. The bad news is after twenty four and a half years we are moving in the next two weeks so my detailed trackside reports will come to an end. :(

by SOO4601

Aw, that's a shame. Every since i've been looking at topics on this forum I've loved your reports. :( Well, in any case, good luck with the move and your new home. :-)

Dietrich

by John 61

It's only my job moving to Nesconset. My home is still here in Smithtown.

by SOO4601

I stand corrected. :wink:

:-)