• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by badorder

Blau Road on the Washington Secondary was finished today, the next crossing to be rebuilt is Thomas Road starting on Monday.
To avoid not being able to get to Washington yard, the H-02 crew is on duty Sunday at 10:00 am at Dover and will meet the H-74 at Washington and so the track dept. has until Wednesday to put the crossing back together for the H-02 to pass.
Also the H-02 left Chester Jct. at 9:30 am Westbound, with 36 cars and single unit, 3010...
weather for Sunday is sunny and in the 60's..may chase the H-02 and also catch the H-74.
  by pdtrains

Just want to confirm the current operations on the DLW Phillipsburg branch (Wash Sec, to all you CR folk)
This is what I've been told by friends, although I don't know if they really know.....

Tu thru fri...H65 Bethlehem to Wash and Back.
Sat ...nothing
Sun..H74 Beth. to Wash, taxi back.
Mon...Someone (?) brings train Wash to Beth only.

Questions...
1. is this correct?
2. Why only one one on sunday and monday. Do these crews do some other work somewhere else too,
or, after crunching the #'s is it cheaper for the RR to do this rather than run a RT 6 days a week?

BTW H74 went thru Stewartsville around 1pm today, with an respectable 2 engines and 24 cars.
Beth than last thurs or fri when the H65 went west with 3 engines (all on line) and 6 cars.
  by blocksignal

Good morning,

I went over to Totowa yesterday (Sunday) around 6 PM to check out various locations along the Totowa Industrial and this is what I observed.

Gold's Gym area along Furler Street ( where run around track is located) - No freight cars parked over there.

Omega Warehousing - No box cars parked on the siding.

Royal Distributors - A total of 9 covered hoppers and 1 box car. 7 covered hoppers were parked on the feeder siding (off the Totowa main), the other 2 covered hoppers and the one boxcar (a brownish colored one with ID letters BA EX) were parked on the actual Royal siding.

I am guessing they will be coming down to Totowa this Thursday to do a pick up/delivery? Thanks.

Blocksignal.
  by blockline4180

Saw H02 about ready to leave Dover this morning to head east down to presumably Royal, as he had many covered hoppers. Also there were two long tank cars on the hind end, so he may head to Colgate after he does his work on the Totowa Spur.
  by NYS&W142Fan

blockline4180 wrote:Saw H02 about ready to leave Dover this morning to head east down to presumably Royal, as he had many covered hoppers. Also there were two long tank cars on the hind end, so he may head to Colgate after he does his work on the Totowa Spur.
My NS source said there were two tank cars for Colgate that came into Washington on Sunday/Monday. So you are correct in your assumption.
  by JohnFPorcaro

JohnFPorcaro wrote:There are about 15 cars parked behind Furler St. That is the most I've ever seen.
There is a whole lot of cars again at Furler St.
  by TSTOM

142fan -

I believe NS went to Colgate yesterday afternoon with those 2 tankers.

NJT has done a huge brush clearing effort on the curve abreast of the ex-DL&W MU layover yard. This has opened up long-range viewing West of Morristown/BAKER.
  by blocksignal

Blockline, John - thanks for the heads up and info. I did not get a chance to get to the Totowa industrial yesterday so I missed the move. Is there any chance at all they would be back tomorrow being tomorrow is Thursday? I noticed lately they have been going down there mainly on Thursdays based on past posts in this forum thread. Any inside info or intel would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah that is a lot of cars all for Royal. The most I have ever heard was down there since I started railfanning over there about 3 years ago. I may go down there today to take some photos. I sure would like to catch them moving all those freight cars around. Thanks.

Blocksignal.
  by gravelyfan

Wednesday sightings @ Mt. Arlington
West @ 8:40 with 4 cars
East @ 2:10 with 14 cars (mostly covered hoppers).
  by JohnFPorcaro

blocksignal wrote:Blockline, John - thanks for the heads up and info. I did not get a chance to get to the Totowa industrial yesterday so I missed the move. Is there any chance at all they would be back tomorrow being tomorrow is Thursday? I noticed lately they have been going down there mainly on Thursdays based on past posts in this forum thread. Any inside info or intel would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah that is a lot of cars all for Royal. The most I have ever heard was down there since I started railfanning over there about 3 years ago. I may go down there today to take some photos. I sure would like to catch them moving all those freight cars around. Thanks.

Blocksignal.
There was a bunch this afternoon!
  by blockline4180

They should be heading down there today!! So be on the lookout.
  by njt4112

Just heard H02 going through Denville at 142
  by blocksignal

Blockline your notification proved correct. Chris that is a big 10-4. H02 was switching Royal by the time I was at Taft Road in Totowa a little after 11AM. I am not sure if they dropped off any boxcars @ Omega. I know there weren't any on their siding when I drove by before heading to Taft Road.

Once they switched Royal they headed East down to the run-around track behind Golds Gym along Furler Street and picked up all those freight cars ( a mixture of boxcars & covered hoppers).

H02 had a consist of 9 covered hoppers & 7 boxcars when they finished up in Totowa. The power was our old friend 3010. I got some nice pics of the move.

Just one question and that is why would they have brought all those boxcars down and spot them behind Gold's Gym this past Tuesday? Surely Omega would not be getting all those boxcars. I think the most they get on their siding at one time is 2 boxcars which is the most I have personally seen on their siding.

Blocksignal.
Last edited by blocksignal on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by badorder

Like I said in a previous post, Omega Warehouse gets boxcars for Caravan Products of flour from Oct. to Dec., those boxcars that you saw maybe from Dietrich and/or Blue Linx. The H-02 sometimes leaves cars on that runaround track until the next time they come back, reason??. I saw them go West at chester Jct. about 2:15 pm with 30 cars.