• Northern Central R-O-W north of Baltimore

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by brianpwestgate

I figure I'll post this here since the trackage in question is in Maryland. I too have been reading with interest the filings from Riffin and from the state, and this from a distance (being a Michigander going to school in south central Minnesota).
What I have to ask is: why is he only filing to operate two short stretches of trackage in Maryland instead of everything from the state line down to Cockeysville. I'm sort of surprised that he doesn't just file to take over down to Baltimore and up to Harrisburg. Then there's York hoping that trucks would be taken off the roads, but he doesn't think they will be. For goodness sake look for as many customers as you can get and become one heck of a salesman! Maybe he wants to run tourist/dinner trains over a long section of track.
Now if NS and the transit authority have planned what he says they do, and since I doubt, as much as I would like, that he will ever operate into Maryland, he ought to build a transload station for them and for others in New Freedom; I presume he will get to operate in Pennsylvania. At any rate two lines between Baltimore and York seems like overkill, though one could also say that competition is good.
Who is this Riffin guy anyways? How does he make his living? It seems obvious that he's a guy that wants to restore rail lines, which is great with me, if you can pull it off. Since we're talking about this, perhaps Ma&Pa (G&W) could restore all of the Walkersville branch to service, but what am I saying, why would G&W do such a thing as that?
Anyways, I can't wait to read your treatise, which I'm almost willing to bet is technically already written in some way.
BPW

by joydivision350125

MMID tried very hard to restore the Taneytown-Hanover trackage. Hopeless. Too many a-hole property owners. THe PA trackage is now ripped up. South of the state line the tracks are there, but covered over with brush.

As far as I know, G&W isn't even operating the MPA line to Hanover any more -- all trains are using the YKR ex-WM line.

Current MPA/YKR roster is 84, 99, 148, 1500, 1502, 1504, 1600, 1602, 1604 (still numbered 1734 but paperwork has it as 1604), 1606, 1752. 1754 still there stored unserviceable. 1756 scrapped 12/03.