• Northbound Acela ar/dp data WAS-NYP-BOS

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mattfels

Good administrators make the most of the resources they have, then use their success to go get more. That's how government bureaucracy works. Think FBI under Hoover, NASA under Kennedy. I would imagine that Eliot Spitzer's office isn't exactly hurting for funds these days either. Install the right administrator, and the money follows. The vacancy is the first step.
  by BenH

Here's some new departure and arrival data for Amtrak's Northeast corridor. Overall it looks quite good, except for train 2118.
Code: Select all
Service: AMTRAK NEC - Northbound Acela 
Date:    Wednesday, 1 December 2004 

Train    WAS    BAL    PHL      NYP       NHV     BOS
2190                             / no data available
2150     OT     OT     +3     +1 / OT     +6      +11
2152     OT     +3     +5     +6 / +3     -->     +32
2154     OT     +2     +8     +5 / OT     OT      +4
2104     OT     +3     +6     +2
2158     OT     +3     +5     +2 / OT     +9      +11
2110     OT     +7     +10    +4
2164     OT     +1     OT     +4 / OT     -->     OT
2166     OT     +2     +10    +6 / +5     OT      -2
2168     OT     OT     +4     OT / OT     OT      +1
2170     OT     +2     +6     +7 / +7     ---     +26
2172     OT     +1     +6     +4 / +4     +4      +1
2174     OT     +1     +2     +5 / +4     +7      +10
2114     OT     +1     +4     +1
2116     OT     +3     +1     OT
2118     +35    +40    +41    +75
         dp     dp     dp     ar / dp     dp      ar

Key: 
+ ## = minutes late vs. schedule
- ## = minutes early vs. schedule

Source:
http://www.amtrak.com
Note: It is unclear whether or not train 2190 operated yesterday.

I still think that Amtrak needs to add a few minutes to the schedule south of NYP. If almost every train is a few minutes late into NYP then this tells me that either (a) the schedule is too tight, or (b) that there was track work that delayed all trains yesterday. My guess is that the answer is (a).

by LI Loco

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; and what standards you measure against.

Using the 15 minute DOT standard, Acela did well on the WAS-NYP leg (93.3%), but worse on the NYP-BOS segment (80%). Is this good enough? I submit that an even tougher standard is called for, the one used by the nation's busiest commuter line, the Long Island RR, which considers any train reaching its terminal more than 5:59 behind schedule to be late. I favor this standard because it reflects what business travelers expect; the LIRR delivers, overall generally between 90% and 95% OT.

Using the LIRR standard, we get OT rates of 73% and 40%, respectively, for the WAS-NYP and NYP-BOS runs. Obviously, there is room for improvement. I suspect congestion may be the biggest problem, but better dispatching can help, but it is difficult to plan for contingencies, i.e. the local in front taking too long at a station. Amtrak could build in more wiggle room, but that leads to diminished expectations (remember, the 20th Century Ltd. took 16 hrs. to do NYP-CHI; the Lake Shore Ltd. takes close to 20.) Does anyone know how they do it in Europe and Asia?
  by jp1822

Despite some adjustments back in the Spring timetable (which are still in effect), that led to lengthening of trip times (between NYP and WAS) and at the same time discontinuing some station stops, continued poor ontime performance for the Acela Expresses.

by RMadisonWI

Aren't they single-tracking part of the NEC towards WAS for some trackwork, or is that only on weekends? That would have quite an effect on OTP.