• north station -lechmere green line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by mpickle

Does anyone know when the new part of the green line from North station onward is slated to open?
thanks

by Ron Newman

Next summer, if the project stays on schedule.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

they are working fast so they can get started on the new tunnel. im sure the T wants the green line ASAP

by CRail

Progress is moving smoothly a couple weeks ago i almost fell over when I saw causway st.

by Ron Newman

The "new tunnel" has been finished for a long time. What still needs to be built is most of the incline from the tunnel portal to Science Park station.

by MBTAFan

Ron Newman wrote:The "new tunnel" has been finished for a long time. What still needs to be built is most of the incline from the tunnel portal to Science Park station.
In fact, the tunnel which goes under the Fleet Center (adjacent to the underground parking garage) was built at the time the Fleet Center was built - I believe it was part of the building design!

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

so it is going to take a year to just build an incline ramp?

by efin98

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:so it is going to take a year to just build an incline ramp?
And incorporate the connection to the viaduct, which isn't as easy as it sounds with the Leverett Connector and heavily driven roads right below the connection. I am of the belief that the line will in fact be completed earlier than one year, only thing holding off the opening being a schedule change and the start of summer when ridership patterns shift.

by Robert Paniagua

Once the new line is open, might I add; then things will improve for the better for the upper end of the Green Line, which I'll be sure to take a ride in it.

by MickD

Will there be any kind of direct access from the new OL/GL platforms
to Fleet Center Commuter promenade at North Station.Is what's there
now the permanent C/R station??I'd hate to think so.What's there now isn't much better than what South Station was during pre-renovation years.

by Ron Newman

A Green/Orange Line headhouse is under construction on the north side of Causeway Street, but you'll still have to walk outside for a few feet to get to the FleetCenter and commuter rail lobby. A better connection has to wait until the former Boston Garden site is developed.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what is a headhouse?

by N.Y. State Of Mind

It's Bostonian slang for station house.

by fm535

If I recall, sometime in the past, someone posted that the rail past the viaduct was of smaller profile or something to that effect, and thus the Type 8's couldn't travel fully to Lechmere. Is there plans to upgrade the tracks thru to the station as well, to allow the T-8's to complete the run, with some foresight to the eventual extension past Lechmere, as well?

by efin98

That's another great point, explains why a year is needed considering previous track projects on the Green Line...
And if the upgrade to the Lechmere-Science Park tracks doesn't occur there really should be an investigation into the MBTA- sounds damn near criminal to ignore an obviously needed project while you have the line free for months.