• North Dakota Bakken Crude Oil

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by ExCon90

Those figures might mean something if comparison were made to the volume of crude oil being shipped during the respective periods. As it stands, it's a meaningless story with no function but to create headlines.
  by MEC407

From the Bangor Daily News:
Bangor Daily News wrote:Deadly oil train accidents push states to draw up response plans

States from California to Maine are hiring rail inspectors and oil-spill experts as they draw up emergency plans after trains carrying crude derailed and burst into fireballs...
. . .
U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx last month met with officials from the railroad and oil industries, who agreed to spend 30 days examining steps to improve safety.

“Voluntary efforts are insufficient to tackle this growing problem,” McDonald and three other New York agency chiefs said in the letter to Foxx and other officials. “The residents of New York cannot wait for the federal government to address these issues in an unsynchronized manner.”

Casey Hernandez, a U.S. Transportation Department spokeswoman, said the department welcomes proposals.

“There is not one action that will solve this issue, and we need to make sure the focus of our wide-ranging approach is on prevention, mitigation, emergency response and stakeholder outreach,” Hernandez said by email.
. . .
“This is one of the only crude oils in the world that will touch off with a match,” said Thomas Cullen, who heads California’s Office of Spill Prevention and Response. “In Quebec, it was like a river of napalm.”
Read the rest of the article at: http://bangordailynews.com/2014/02/04/b ... nse-plans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by MEC407

From The Portland Press Herald:
The Portland Press Herald wrote:The path toward U.S. energy independence, made possible by a boom in shale oil, will be much harder than it seems.

Just a few of the roadblocks: Independent producers will spend $1.50 drilling this year for every dollar they get back. Shale output drops faster than production from conventional methods. It will take 2,500 new wells a year just to sustain output of 1 million barrels a day in North Dakota’s Bakken shale, according to the Paris-based International Energy Agency. Iraq could do the same with 60.
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.pressherald.com/news/Shale_o ... ence_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Maine Central, I know I have addressed such at one crude oil topic or the other, but I shall reiterate the point as it relates to your linked Bloomberg News article (courtesy Portland Press Herald).

I first learned of the vast oil deposits in the Bakken region through Geology 101 that I took during 1963. I'm certain geologists knew of such long about when Gen. Custer met his fate in roundly that neck of the woods. However, this was not going to be 'easy oil', as the cost of its extraction would far exceed other domestic sources such as West Texas, Western Kansas, and Southern California. As those sources were coming close to depletion, the oil industry turned to the Middle East, where such reserves were discovered only during the time of the Ottoman Empire - and that, as noted by Bloomberg, was also 'easy oil', but of course as the world has learned geopolitical forces make this vast supply less than a sure bet.

Very simply, Bakken and other shale deposits are only economically sustainable at the present range of $90bbl. While hardly in a position to predict such will occur anytime soon (and Mr. O'Keefe has often noted such simply will not occur - a position I wholly respect), if some Sheik of Araby, possibly with the masses storming the gates, suddenly decided to significantly cut the price of his oil, Bakken would be another bypassed 'Hell on Wheels' outpost - or at least until Sheik was found hiding in a sewer pipe and 'strung up'.
  by gokeefe

I would note with my respects to Mr. Norman that the latest figures I remember reading indicated that Saudi Arabia's fiscal planning required a price of $100/bbl and Iran and Venezuela were in excess of $105/bbl with Iran closer to $107/bbl. Iraq on the other hand is probably quite a bit lower than that and consequently right now I would expect that they are pulling in a lot of cash, which they need ever penny of. Speaking of which a quick check of the news shows that Iraq is yet again setting production and export records, here is the AP story as carried by ABC News:
Iraq's daily oil exports surged to 2.8 million barrels per day in February, some half million barrels more than in the previous month, as international oil companies developed fields and export infrastructure, a senior official said on Saturday.
The country's deputy prime minister for energy, Hussain al-Shahristani, also said Saturday in the southern of Basra that average production, including the exports, exceeded 3.5 million barrels per day last month. He described the figures as "unprecedented."

He said the daily production would have reached 4 million barrels if the country's northern self-ruled Kurdish region had contributed its share of about 400,000 barrels a day to the figure, as had been estimated in the 2014 budget. The Kurds, who stopped exporting oil more than a year ago over a payment row, have sought greater control over oil in their crude-rich region, while Baghdad argues that it should be under central government control.
Turkish newspaper Hürriyet which is affliated with Doğan News Agency also has an article that meshes well with the AP material reported by ABC News:
Iraq exported 2.8 million barrels of oil per day in February, a top minister said Saturday, a sharp month-on-month gain and the highest such figure in at least a quarter-century.
The export figure was the highest since then dictator Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in 1990, triggering a crippling embargo and international sanctions that massively restricted Iraq's energy industry.

In 2012, when average daily exports reached 2.5 million barrels per day, the oil ministry said it was the highest such figure since 1989.
The good news here is that the Iraqis are pouring oil onto the world markets in ever increasing quantities. This helps keep prices stable in the long run and limits the extreme upside potential for oil prices as the market is well supplied. Stagnant domestic U.S. demand coupled with surging U.S. production and exports of distillates puts significant downward pressure on West African and Venezuelan crude prices also further easing pressures on the Brent global benchmark. All of this is occurring as both Syrian and Iranian exports are significantly curtailed. For the moment Russian exports remain uninterrupted although the outlook there remains highly uncertain.

The other clear implication of the story is that there were something in the range of 500K/daily bbl of exports of capacity that were witheld due to the disputes with the Kurds. This would imply that export figures for March will rise very significantly as an agreement now appears to be in place regarding this issue. All of this is to say that Iraq is going to be in a better position going forward this year to take better care of its people, develop its infrastructure and improve its economy. That is a very significant development for the Middle East and will likely have stabilizing effects on the conflicts in that area. Why fight when there's money to be made?

On another development front which I consider to be completely under reported in domestic media the Afghan government has signed concessions for exploration and development of potential oil resources in the generally peaceful northern tier of the country next to Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. Here is the best article I found:
Dragon chief executive Abdul Jaleel Al Khalifa says Dragon Oil will continue to reward shareholders with dividend growth. But, he also confirmed much of the group’s US$2bn cash pot is earmarked for investment, with new work programmes getting underway this year. “We will definitely pay for the existing expansion and exploration targets,” he said in a Proactive Investors interview. “This year we’re going to sidetrack the well in Tunisia, we’re going to drill a well in Iraq, we’ll drill a well in the Philippines. We’ll also seismic acquisition in Afghanistan, Iraq and Egypt.”
Afghanistan has a history of gas production in the north mainly in Jowzjan Province and especially around Sheberghan. While the volumes produced are not large the effect is magnified by the fact that Afghanistan remains a net importer of liquid hydrocarbons and energy in general. Increased production in this area will result in an improved economy, lower energy costs and additional products that will be available on the world market displaced by domestic Afghan production. The potential upside to estimated reserves in Afghanistan is very significant as exploration to date has been thin.

Returning to the topic at hand, all of this is to say that the prices supporting North Dakota's current production levels should remain stable for a very long time. Although production increases onto the global market will eventually push prices down for the moment the geo political situation isn't sufficiently calm enough to allow Brent to go below $90 (or perhaps even $95). The net effect on rail is significant as this bodes for major traffic increases to Crude by Rail for a long time to come, tank car replacement not withstanding. Another angle to look at is also the effect on the Class I physical plant in the northern transcontinental tier. I keep waiting to see how much more track mileage BNSF is forced to reopen across the northern Plains. Although I don't think we will see train running again through Homestake Pass I am left wondering about this possibility as oil production continues to challenge BNSF's available capacity.
  by gokeefe

The Wall Street Journal had an article yesterday regarding Crude by Rail from the Bakken:
Moving North Dakota's oil riches out of state on trains was supposed to be a stopgap solution until pipelines could be built. But even as crude gushes from the state's Bakken Shale at a rate of nearly 1 million barrels a day, some pipeline companies are abandoning proposed projects, and it is becoming clear that rail transport won't be a temporary phenomenon. In January, Koch Pipeline Company walked away from a project because of what it said was tepid interest by local oil producers. A year earlier Oneok Partners OKS +0.15% LP canceled plans for a $2 billion pipeline from North Dakota to Oklahoma for the same reason. Rail is almost always a more expensive way to transport crude than pipelines—as much as twice the price a barrel over similar distances. But in North Dakota's case, rail's greater flexibility to ferry oil to where it fetches the highest price trumped the economics of pipelines, said energy experts.
Ethan Bellamy, an analyst at Robert W. Baird & Co., said producers want the ability to sell oil flowing out of the Midwest to the highest bidder—often refineries in Washington state, New Jersey and Pennsylvania that are only accessible by rail.
In part, the crude produced in North Dakota is a low-sulfur type that is highly prized right now among East Coast refiners. On average, the state's oil sold for $74 a barrel in January, much less than the about $104 a barrel that East Coast refineries paid to import overseas oil during the same month, according to state and federal data. Even with the between $5 and $15 a barrel cost of shipping crude via train, it still made economic sense to head east.
The latest Director's Cut (dated February 14, 2014) for the North Dakota Department of Mineral Resources, Oil and Gas Division of the North Dakota Industrial Commission shows the following significant statistics:
Nov Oil 29,293,592 barrels = 976,453 barrels/day
Dec Oil 28,620,049 barrels = 923,227 barrels/day (preliminary)(all-time high was 976,453 in 11/13)
862,978 barrels per day or 93% from Bakken and Three Forks
60,249 barrels per day or 7% from legacy conventional pools
Nov Producing Wells = 10,042
Dec Producing Wells = 10,015 (preliminary)(all-time high was 10,042 in 11/13)
6,803 Wells or 68% are now unconventional Bakken – Three forks wells
3,212 wells or 32% produce from legacy conventional pools
Nov Permitting: 232 drilling and 1 seismic
Dec Permitting: 227 drilling and 1 seismic
Jan Permitting: 253 drilling and 0 seismic (all time high was 370 in 10/2012)
Nov Sweet Crude Price = $71.42/barrel
Dec Sweet Crude Price = $73.47/barrel
Jan Sweet Crude Price = $74.20/barrel
Today Sweet Crude Price = $81.35/barrel (all-time high was $136.29 7/3/2008)
Nov rig count 184
Dec rig count 190
Jan rig count 188
Today’s rig count is 185 (all-time high was 218 on 5/29/2012)
The statewide rig count is down 15% from the high and in the five most active counties rig count is down as follows:
McKenzie -4% high was July 2013
Williams -33% high was March 2012
Mountrail -15% high was June 2011
Dunn -29% high was June 2012
Divide -25% high was March 2013
The following comments were made regarding rail transportation:
Crude oil take away capacity is expected remain adequate as long as rail deliveries to coastal refineries keep growing.
In brief production in the Bakken is quite clearly going to surpass 1Mbbl per day once spring sets in. There also appears to be very significant upside for the summer season as there was a large inventory of drilled wells awaiting fracking. I think we could see levels as high as 1.5M bbl per day by the end of 2014. This in combination with other production now online in other shale oil plays should make for a very well supplied domestic market and also excellent margins for refiners exporting distillate products. I would also note that BNSF stands to benefit from most of this massive production increase as almost all of this new oil will be shipping out by rail. I would expect to see serious delays on the Empire Builder this summer and more problems for Minnesota's North Star commuter trains. The Lake Shore Limited may also be affected by this as the glut of oil pushes east to New Jersey and Pennsylvania. I would also expect to see major volumes of crude oil going to Irving in New Brunswick over both PAR and via CM&Q (Central Maine & Quebec - successor to Maine Montreal & Atlantic) once they complete a major track program, which may not be possible this year.
  by jstolberg

BNSF seems unprepared for rapid growth.
Many of the problems stem from pileups at BNSF Railway Co. in a critical northern stretch of the country where it is shipping crude oil from North Dakota's booming Bakken Shale region. The railroad, one of the biggest in North America, was already taxed by the heavy demand for oil transport. But its difficulties multiplied when it ran out of locomotives and crew, as a bitter winter forced it to use smaller trains.

That has caused a ripple effect across the country as shipments have been delayed. Deliveries of empty grain cars to farmers and grain elevators in the Midwest and Great Plains are running about two to three weeks late, the railroad says.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 44774.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The railroad is leasing and buying new locomotives by the hundreds and trying to hire and get crews qualified to run them.

Commodity movements that are suffering include potatoes, sugar, grain, coal, and fertilizer. Many of them are hiring truckers to speed up deliveries when inventories run less than 10 days. Concerned manufacturers that rely on sugar originating on BNSF lines include Kraft, General Mills, Kellogg, and Hershey.
  by gokeefe

Assuming they will eventually overcome these difficulties do they have enough track capacity to handle the additional loads?
  by jstolberg

No, that is why they have already begun to lay new track on frozen ground.
To address issues specifically in North Dakota, BNSF notified Heitkamp that it will:

Spend $162 million to double track the rail line from Minot, ND to Glasgow, MT to help address major congestion issues for westbound traffic to destinations in the Pacific Northwest
Spend $26 million to add sub sidings to address congestion from Fargo, ND to Grand Forks, ND along the Hillsboro subdivision
Spend $14 million to add sub sidings to address congestion from Bismarck, ND to Glendive, MT along the Dickinson subdivision
Spend $13 million to add sub sidings to address congestion from Minot, ND to Grand Forks, ND along the Devils Lake subdivision
Spend $13 million to add sub sidings and an interchange track to address congestion from Canada into the United States through the Port of Pembina along the Noyes subdivision
Spend $11 million to invest in Centralized Traffic Control to improve service from Bismarck, ND to Fargo, ND along the Jamestown subdivision
Spend $8 million to add sub sidings and conduct signal work along the track from Fargo to Minot along the KO subdivision
http://www.heitkamp.senate.gov/public/i ... 02e9c4cc2c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Gilbert B Norman

I believe this New York Times article appearing this past Wednesday, has comprehensive reporting regarding handling of crude oil:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/busin ... ecret.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brief passage:

• Jodi Ross, town manager in Westford, Mass., did not expect she would be threatened with arrest after she and her fire chief went onto the railroad tracks to find out why a train carrying liquid petroleum gas derailed on a bridge in February.
    But as they reached the accident site northwest of Boston, a manager for Pan Am Railways called the police, claiming she was trespassing on rail property. The cars were eventually put back on the tracks safely, but the incident underlined a reality for local officials dealing with railroads.

“They don’t have to tell us a thing,” Ms. Ross said. “It’s a very arrogant attitude.”

American railroads have long operated under federal laws that shield them from local or state oversight and provide a blanket of secrecy over much of their operations. But now a rapid rise in the number of trains carrying crude oil — along with a series of derailments and explosions — has brought new concern about the risks of transporting dangerous cargo by rail.
If municipal officials can be threatened with arrest, how about inquisitive 'kid railfan'?

Even 'back in my day' when I was employed within the industry, I quickly learned that any information appearing on a waybill, such as lading, rates, and routing and be it one car or a unit train, is privileged and can only be released to the public on a need to know basis. I was long gone from the industry before both 9/11 and the proliferation of handling crude oil, on which clearly, as the article describes, there has been a learning curve regarding safe movement of such.

Note: this material also posted at New England Railfan Forum.
  by dowlingm

To be fair it doesn't seem to be just BNSF - north of the border the Class Is (I think CN mostly) are taking a pounding for failing to get grain shipments moving. As the prairie provinces vote Conservative, the Feds have demanded better effort. CNR and CPR are not happy: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e17782591/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/su ... ion-136087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by MEC407

Not sure if this was Bakken crude, but that seems more likely than not...
Reuters wrote:A CSX Corp train carrying crude oil derailed and burst into flames in downtown Lynchburg, Virginia on Wednesday, spilling oil into the James River and forcing hundreds to evacuate.

In its second oil-train accident this year, CSX said 15 cars on a train traveling from Chicago to Virginia derailed at 2:30 p.m. EDT. Photos and video showed high flames and a large plume of black smoke. Officials said there were no injuries, but 300-350 people were evacuated in a half-mile radius.

City officials instructed motorists and pedestrians to stay away from downtown, while firefighters battled the blaze. Three railcars were still on fire as of 4 p.m., CSX said.

The fiery derailment a short distance from office buildings in the city of 77,000 was sure to bring more calls from environmentalists and activists for stricter regulations of the burgeoning business of shipping crude oil by rail.
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/ ... YW20140430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is the CSX line on which this incident occurred:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RTl_ ... ay-map.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The named C&O passenger trains, George Washington, Sportsman, FFV, all operated by way of Charlottesville interchanging cars there to Richmond and Newport News.

Even though the injuries were confined to property, any reader here, who in all likely follows the business of the industry as distinct from hobby pursuits, i.e. railbuff, knows that the media will have a field day ('our water is contaminated', 'build pipelines now!!!, get that oil out of our town' 'nationalize those robber baron railroads') - any and all of which can only adversely affect railroad industry interests.

From the published photos, I cannot ascertain whether the tanks that went swimming were the infamous DOT-111 or others. I can fully expect that the AAR OT-55 regarding handling of HAZMAT, including crude oil, will only be strengthened resulting in increased costs, without necessarily a corresponding increase in rates, for handling crude.

A Black Eye for the industry, even if the incident was relatively 'minor'.

disclaimer: author holds long position CSX
  by gokeefe

What I have noticed is the tendency of these DOT-111 cars to rupture in almost every instance. Unlike Lac Megantic this incident does not appear to have happenned at particularly high speeds. Yet, the cars broke open nonetheless and there was a corresponding fire. PAR really did dodge a bullet with their incident in Maine and in particular it was their own safety precautions (slow operating speeds in particular) that saved the day.
  by Gilbert B Norman

While of course no minimizing of Megantic can ever take place, this relatively minor Lynchburg incident is going to prove a 'PR nightmare' for the industry.

Case in point, yesterday, a friend from Atlanta in the insurance industry, who to my best knowledge has never set foot on a train, or at least Amtrak, calls me up on Friday morning and says 'Hey Bro, Page 1 above the fold of Today's Journal....' I quickly went outside to retrieve such, and it was an 'OMG moment' to be sure.

There for all of The Journal's readership to see was a photo of the Tanks swimming in the James River; the article was on the inside but pictures are worth a thousand words. While I like to think The Journal knows better, how many less heeled journalists, and even less heeled politicos, will start proclaiming how every community along the James had best start boiling water, especially in light of the contaminant incident (not involving rails) that occurred near Charleston WV recently.

Finally, there is no question whatever that CSX has the resources, internal or insured, to satisfy any legitimate claimant in this matter, it appears the PR will be a different story.