• Non-revenue derailment at Smithsonian

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by JDC

Per NBC Wash and Metro, a non revenue train derailed around 5.30 am on August 6 at Smithsonian station. It supposedly derailed at the switch. No service from McPherson square and federal center. Silver line trains running between Wiehle and EFC only. Huge delays expect huge delays.
  by Sand Box John

Once again WMATA is showing their collective amnesia.

When the Blue line opened in 1977 trains were crossed over at Eastern Market to service Stadium-Armory before the pocket track in D&G junction was ready.

No reason why the same could not be done to service Metro Center and L'Enfant Plaza.
  by JDC

8:45 AM press conference details: 3 cars derailed, were 1000/2000-series cars.
  by srepetsk

For the younger ones in the crowd (/me waves his hand), this occurred at the same interlocking as the derailment in 1982 that killed 3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Wash ... derailment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Good thing there wasn't a plane crash as well, today, otherwise the world really might be ending.
  by Sand Box John

I walked down to Federal Triangle that night, spoke briefly to Cody Phanstiehl and one of the supervisors that was on the ground in the tunnel when it happened. The supervisor was visibly shaken.
  by MCL1981

I'm sure Dan Stessel will be on the air soon to blame this incident on a customer that sneezed in Bethesda. Then point out that everyone got home eventually, you're welcome....
  by farecard

srepetsk wrote:For the younger ones in the crowd (/me waves his hand), this occurred at the same interlocking as the derailment in 1982 that killed 3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Wash ... derailment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Good thing there wasn't a plane crash as well, today, otherwise the world really might be ending.
Nonsense, without the blizzard it was just an ordinary day...
  by dcmike

I'm out of town this week so unfortunately I have no first hand information on this incident.

It does seem that another Rohr deuce bit the dust though. :( I've been given word that 1272 was towed away to New Carrollton Yard along with 3156/57, but 1273 went to Alexandria Yard with 2048/49. That's the second deuce in as many months following the derailment at Brentwood Yard that killed 1012/13.
  by srepetsk

dcmike wrote:I'm out of town this week so unfortunately I have no first hand information on this incident.

It does seem that another Rohr deuce bit the dust though. :( I've been given word that 1272 was towed away to New Carrollton Yard along with 3156/57, but 1273 went to Alexandria Yard with 2048/49. That's the second deuce in as many months following the derailment at Brentwood Yard that killed 1012/13.
Huh. When was the Brentwood derailment? Are those two still on property or already sold off/scrapped? Also if I read your statement correctly, 1273 is the now-incapacitated one? Is there another pair for 1272 if they were to try and keep that in service? Apologies for all the questions in advance.