• Noise on the new West Philly el

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by sccaflagger74

From inside the train the new sections of the el in West Philly sound very loud compared to the old section using railroad ties. Have there been any complaints from the neighborhood about increased noise? Has anyone heard it from streetside to give us a report on the noise level?

I live near the Oakview trestle on the Sharon Hill trolley and the trolleys are very quiet until they hit the trestle where the noise turns into a loud rumble. Since the trolleys are short, run much less frequently than the el, are back in the woods, and only have a small section of trestle the noise is no big deal but I could easily see the MFL becoming more of a nuisance to the neighborhood with the added noise.

Bob

by Lucius Kwok

The new MFL is direct fixation track, isn't it? The old track sat on gravel ballast, which is quieter than direct fixation. I would imagine that one train every 3-5 minutes isn't as bad as the constant noise from cars and trucks on the streets below.

by jsc

Lucius Kwok wrote: I would imagine that one train every 3-5 minutes isn't as bad as the constant noise from cars and trucks on the streets below.
are you kidding? there's a reason that the el is refered to by some as the "frankford pause"...everyone pauses midconversation when it passes overhead.