• NoBoston South to Boston North?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ExCon90

Actually, I think Amtrak did provide some sort of bus connection between Penn and GCT for a while. I'm not sure whether it was included in the price of a through ticket, say from Washington to Albany.
  by electricron

ExCon90 wrote:Actually, I think Amtrak did provide some sort of bus connection between Penn and GCT for a while. I'm not sure whether it was included in the price of a through ticket, say from Washington to Albany.
That was my point, they could. But they don't anymore, and not many have posted missing it.
  by Greg Moore

electricron wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:Actually, I think Amtrak did provide some sort of bus connection between Penn and GCT for a while. I'm not sure whether it was included in the price of a through ticket, say from Washington to Albany.
That was my point, they could. But they don't anymore, and not many have posted missing it.
Why would they? Amtrak doesn't run to GCT, so why should they run a bus there anymore?

I can't see many Amtrak passengers posting about missing something they'd have no reason to use.
  by gprimr1

Greg Moore wrote:
electricron wrote:
Why would they? Amtrak doesn't run to GCT, so why should they run a bus there anymore?

I can't see many Amtrak passengers posting about missing something they'd have no reason to use.
I think this was meant to be read as when Amtrak still used GCT and had 2 stations in NYC.
  by mtuandrew

Wanna run on a shoestring? Do like Dallas, and charter a nonprofit to run a trolley car every few minutes along the Greenway from North to South Stations, then back to North Station along Commercial Street and the wharves. Not sure whether Boston has any to spare, but PCCs would definitely be a familiar sight - and a free waterfront streetcar would probably not be unwelcome from a city promotion standpoint.

Apologies for drifting from the original topic, but I think we've moved away from an Amtrak-specific topic (unless we're still counting Thruway minibuses.)
  by Rbts Stn

NRGeep wrote:A one track trolley shuttle between the stations fenced in on the Greenway could fit the bill it seems though there's no $ for it and various interests would no doubt frown on the idea.
That would kind of defeat the purpose of the Greenway -- introducing transit and fences.

Maybe they could elevate it above the Greenway on some hideous looking green colored platform?
  by Arlington

Rbts Stn wrote:
NRGeep wrote:A one track trolley shuttle between the stations fenced in on the Greenway could fit the bill it seems though there's no $ for it and various interests would no doubt frown on the idea.
That would kind of defeat the purpose of the Greenway -- introducing transit and fences.

Maybe they could elevate it above the Greenway on some hideous looking green colored platform?
Use a modern proof-of-payment system. San Diego gets 98% fare collection on its trolley with no barriers, no farebox. Or make it a free circulator. There are plenty of places where light rail operates on nicely maintained grass-between-rails ROWs.
  by MACTRAXX

EC90 and Everyone: Yes-Amtrak did offer a connecting bus beginning during the 1980s between NYP and NYG...
If you had a connecting ticket you rode this shuttle bus free...I have used this service back then...

MACTRAXX
  by markhb

I've wondered if there's enough traffic to make something like an airport shuttle van running between the two stations (in regular traffic) profitable.... something like the San Francisco airport-to-city shuttle services, except just connecting the two stations. Of course, I have a sneaking suspicion there would be so many levels of bureaucracy to get through to get something like that started that you'd never make back the startup costs.
  by Backshophoss

It would become MBTA's call for a dedicated bus/trolley route between North and South station,and to ask Amtrak
to add some $$$ to cover the costs for modified equipment(allowing for Baggage space),currently a moot point
due to the impending changeover of CR operators.
  by Noel Weaver

One thing I think could work in this case would be moving sidewalks underground. They are much cheaper to build than a rail or light rail line and take up way less space as well. Maybe some old tunnels or portions of them are available which would help. Grades could be handled by escalators enroute. Intermediate points could also be well served by breaks in these moving sidewalks. Downside would likely be shutdowns for maintenance but much of that could probably be done in the late night hours. Not just railroad passengers but anybody on the move could benefit from something like this.
Noel Weaver
  by TomNelligan

A dedicated van service between North and South Stations could probably start up next week if there was sufficient demand. The fact that there has never been any serious activity in that area suggests to me that great demand doesn't exist, given the existing subway and taxi options for people who need to transfer.