Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

It doesn't appear that the SS will run any additional trains for the fireworks show on Sunday 7/3, although they'll probably be running longer than usual trains on the existing schedule. With all of the additional service Metra is providing. I've never understood why SS doesn't run extra trains for this event as well, could it be perhaps that there isn't enough demand for it? For instance, couldn't an extra train run to Kensington, where passengers could then transfer to Metra Electric for the rest of the inbound trip, then reverse the process for the outbound trip after the fireworks? Because as it stands now, this Sunday's 10pm run from Randolph Street will probably run at capacity, and anyone who misses that train will either have to wait over 2 1/2 hours for the next train to Michigan City (departing for Michigan City at 1245am), or make other arrangements. Seems to me that at least one additional extra departure could be squeezed in there somehwere, either from Randolph St. or Kensington as I previously mentioned...

Dorian

by dinwitty

extra trains, extra announcements, perhaps more paper printed schedules...

remember railroads could run second/third sections of trains as needed.

by PRRGuy

There will be extra trains on the 3rd, but i don't have the schedules off hand.

by doepack

Well, looks like I spoke too soon: Found this link at the NICTD homepage that spells out all of the extra service that the South Shore is providing for the fireworks show at the Taste. Guess I missed it the first time.

www.nictd.com/info/2005%20Taste%20for%20Internet.pdf

Feel free to ignore my initial rant...

by Tadman

I rode inbound on the second and it was the most packed train I've ever seen - 8 cars, no room to sit, stand, or think.

by PRRGuy

Perhaps I saw you, I was working the morning shift on the 3rd in Randolph. St.