• NMED 05/28/2011- 8 Engines

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by LLPX2032

Did anyone else catch AYMO yesterday with 8 units? I would guess that Pan Am doesn't normally run that much power for one train, they must have needed power out west. Pretty impressive. All Pan Am power, too. 350 axles over the detector @ Slab City. I posted some pics on Nerail.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ate&page=1

by cpf354

Wrong symbol sir. That's general freight. AYMO is always auto racks and intermodal. I read elsewhere that was NMED (MEC 611 +7), and that AYMO ran behind it with NS power(NS 9273 + 2)(Guilford Sightings). Thanks for the pictures.
  by LLPX2032

Well, all I can say is that I had the scanner going while I was on the way. Quite a bit of traffic, so I wasn't watching what channel I was receiving on while I was driving there. I did hear AYMO (no engine #, just the symbol), and just after that I heard Dist. 3 say "on the move @ 14:46." Pic was taken @ 14:51, and I was kind of confused when I saw the train with gen. freight and no foreign power. So maybe the first thing I heard was AYMO on the yard channel, and then heard Dist. 3 on the road channel. Oh well, I hope everyone got a laugh at my expense! :-P (It was bound to happen eventually! Hahaha.) Never saw AYMO, I had to go to work. But thanks for the info so I could correct my pics.
  by MEC407

Subject line changed accordingly. :-)
  by B&M 1227

I was able to catch both AYMO and NMED. AYMO ended up leaving shortly before 4. NMED was really hauling through Ayer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by newpylong

Cool shot.

20 MPH is really hauling ? :)
  by B&M 1227

Thanks! I don't want to speak to specifics on train speed, but they were moving at a pace that looked much quicker than 20mph.
  by Tim Mullins

Well!....If you want my expert opinion! ( I'll give it to you anyway)...Timetable speed is 20 mph over Moores crossing...
Speed applys to the head end only....So once the lead engine goes over, he can then pick up speed...
Your welcome!hehehehe!
  by TPR37777

I was under the impression that Pan Am had difficulty getting eight engines to run at the same time on their entire system, and now you are telling me that they had eight actually running on one train? Come on, there had to be at least one that kept shutting down, shed parts as it went by, or otherwise bled fluids all over the ballast.
  by newpylong

Tim Mullins wrote:Well!....If you want my expert opinion! ( I'll give it to you anyway)...Timetable speed is 20 mph over Moores crossing...
Speed applys to the head end only....So once the lead engine goes over, he can then pick up speed...
Your welcome!hehehehe!

True, lol. I think that crew was on their way home, probably got 'er done.
  by MEC407

TPR37777 wrote:I was under the impression that Pan Am had difficulty getting eight engines to run at the same time on their entire system, and now you are telling me that they had eight actually running on one train? Come on, there had to be at least one that kept shutting down, shed parts as it went by, or otherwise bled fluids all over the ballast.
Good point. :wink: Joking aside, even if all eight locomotives were running, it's doubtful that all eight were MU'd and providing traction. They have rules about the number of locomotives that can power a train (or is it how many powered axles there can be?). My memory is a bit hazy, but I thought that eight four-axle units was the maximum... so if they've got eight units and some of those are six-axle units, not all of them would be permitted to be actively running (as opposed to running but isolated from the rest of the consist).
  by newpylong

You are right, it is online axles. As for what the limit is, I haven't a clue. I used to know but since I've been out of the RR for going on 5 years now im starting to forget things :) hehehe
  by MEC407

OK, so that would be six four-axle locomotives, or four six-axle locomotives... or various combinations that I'll let others calculate for themselves. Thanks, Mick!
  by mick

The best scenario would be 3 4-axles and 2 6-axles, or better yet 2 CSX engines. Wink wink.